thirtyone

"Marley, will you... Umm... I mean do you want to..." Harry sighs. Squares hush shoulders. Tries again. "Would you, like, want to go to homecoming with me?"

He rolls his eyes at his own reflection. Marley is in his room, getting out her notes for their exam on the latest piece of literature they read in English class. And here Harry is, standing in his bathroom, talking to his mirror like he's never asked out a girl before.

"Marley Pa--Marr, will you go... To homecoming? ...with umm... me?" He licks his lips. "So, homecoming--"

Someone pounds on the bathroom door. "Harry, I need to pee!" It's Vivian.

"Use one of the other bathrooms in this house!" He yells back.

But she keeps banging on the door. So he sighs and let's her in.

"Good, I don't actually have to pee but you're being pathetic. Just go ask her." Viv smiles. "By the way sound echoes in bathrooms. Be happy I took the room next to the bathroom or Marley would have heard that whole thing." His sister motions toward him with her finger, and amused smile on her cheeks.

Harry blushes. Rolls his eyes. "Do you have to get in my business all the time?"

"No, but it's fun." She shrugs. "So, I do."

He grumbles under his breath as he walks past her and down the hall toward his room. Stopping in the doorway, he sees the girl of his dreams sprawled across his bed. Her hair fanned out on his duvet in golden swirls that look almost bronze when caught in the right light.

The book they read for the assignment is in her hands. Open to a random page. Her eyes skimming across the words.

"Good book?" He asks with a smirk on his pink lips.

She laughs. Rests the book beside her before sitting up. "I just got bored."

Harry pushes off the doorframe he was leaning on and crosses the room to sit next to her. She already kicked off her shoes which are laying in the middle of his floor, so he tugs off his boots and tosses them toward his closet, too.

Truthfully, the last thing he wants to do is study. But if it means having her here with her sock clad feet tucked under her as she sits in the center of his bed, so be it.

And he wants to kiss her. God damn does he want to kiss her.

"So, the book is about racism, obviously. But for the in-class essay I'm assuming they want something more in depth than that." She says, looking at a few of her notes, which the teacher had already told them they wouldn't be allowed to use during the exam. Her fingers are pressed against her mouth in thought as she skims the pages. And it takes everything in Harry not to pull them away just so he can kiss her. Kiss her and never fucking stop.

Harry lays across his bed next to her. Rests his head on the fluffy white pillows. "Do we have to study? It's an essay."

She looks up from her notes. "An essay worth twenty percent of our grade."

"So, we do a mediocre job and still pass the class with a better than average grade." He looks up at the ceiling. "We both have an A in the class."

"For now." Marley says. But sets her notes aside anyway. Turning to the boy laying beside her. "But mediocre isn't what gets people into college."