sixtyfive

Marley sits in her father's living room. Phone grasped in hand. Counting the minutes.

He said he would be here at five-thirty. He still has thirty-five minutes but she fidgets next to Fiona watching TV, anyway. Just waiting.

She can't even focus on whatever show her sister is watching. All she cares about is seeing Harry. He's taking her on a date--like a real date--and she got dressed nearly an hour ago because she just couldn't sit still. But now her hair is lightly curled and her makeup is done to the best of her ability--with Fiona's help--and her new dress is wrinkle free.

Marley almost can't take it anymore when her phone tells her it's nearly five-fifteen. She's about to call him but somehow he beats her to it. His name flashes on the screen and she jumps up from the couch.

"Hey." Her voice sounds airy and soft. She clears her throat and starts walking toward the foyer. "Are you almost here?"

"Come outside and see for yourself." He says coyly. She can practically hear his smirk.

And her automatic smile is wide and her heart is beating a mile a minute. She throws the door open and he's there. Standing by the hood of that damn car that she's missed almost as much as she's missed him.

She's barefoot and there's snow on the ground but she doesn't care. Marley runs across the yard, leaving a path of footprints across the white blanket in her wake. He lifts her off the ground when she's finally in his arms. She wraps her legs around his torso as he spins her around. And it's like an enormous weight has lifted from her shoulders.

His smile is like sunshine after an endless night. His arms are like coming home after a long trip. His eyes are like the glowing beam of a lighthouse guiding her to shore.

She's missed him. So. Much.

Harry is about to say something but Marley can't help it. She kisses him with all the fire she feels in her chest. All the longing she's felt since she last saw him. It feels like it's been forever since she kissed him.

He kisses her back instantly. An automatic reaction to her icy lips that burn his insides.

And they kiss like colliding seasons. They kiss like coming home. Damn, do they kiss.

He sets her down on the hood of his car and leans over her as he devours the blissful taste of her lips. She's wearing some kind of flavored lip gloss. And Harry loves it. "You taste like strawberries, baby."

"Crap," Marley pulls away, but only by a few inches. "Is my makeup smeared all over my face now? I'm not used to this shit."

Harry laughs with a wide grin. Stars in his eyes. Love for this girl in his heart.

She can read it all like a roadmap. Her smile widens at the sight of his. And she can't help reaching up to cup his cheeks and brush her thumbs over his dimples. "I'm serious. I don't know if Don is a protective-dad-type. If I walk back in there with a smeared face he very well might smear you across the floor."

Harry shakes his head. "You look fine, Marr. Better than fine." Holds her closer. Brushes a stray strand from her face. And shrugs. "Plus, dads always love me."

She laughs but it quickly turns into a shiver with a sudden cold gust of wind. She pulls him closer for warmth.

"Don't you have a coat?" He laughs, taking his own off and draping it on her shoulders.

She quickly slides her arms into the sleeves and reaches up to cup her hands on either side of his face again. "I was too excited to worry about things like proper outerwear." Shrugs. Pulls him closer. "Now kiss me."