fortytwo

Even after the music changed back to a jumping beat, and everyone started dancing on each other again, Marley and Harry stayed the same.

Swaying off-tempo to the music that shook the floor. And holding each other close.

Harry doesn't know how many songs they dance to like this. But when she finally moves her head from where it rested on his chest, he just wants to hold her closer. Say not yet. Just one more song.

But they can't stay like that forever. And sure enough the room slowly starts to empty of people. And the DJ is announcing the homecoming dance is coming to a close.

Marley doesn't want the night to end. Something about it makes her feel different. And she isn't sure if it's the lighting, the dress, the boy still holding her by the waist, or a mixture of all of it. A cross between the glimmering lights that reflect off the sequins of her dress, and the light that shines in his eyes when he looks down at her.

But it has to end. Nothing perfect lasts forever. And the time you have is never as long as you wish it could be. Marley knows that from experience. Her mother, her brother. Leaving before she really felt she had a chance to give them a reason to stay. Be her family, like they should have.

Ashton pulls his van around once everyone steps outside. It's started pouring. And Marley thinks if it were a bit colder, it would have been snow. A lot of it.

"After party?" Vivian asks from the passenger seat.

"Heck yeah." Niall smiles in the far back. Carrie next to him and Dorrit on her other side. Xander sits next to Harry in the middle row. Marley on the other side of the boy who has yet to let go of her hand for more than a few seconds.

"You should ask mum first, Viv." Harry says to his little sister. Who is still wearing his crown, crooked on her head.

But there really was no point. Their mother is so easygoing, it only took a few short minutes of convincing and promising to polish her fine china, for Dianne to say yes to her daughter.

And even after Vivian had said, "okay, mum, we'll be there soon. Love you" at least six times before hanging up, Marley envied Viv. Because she has a mother who cares. And isn't in a psychiatric institution. And isn't trying to pry her way back into her life with a carefully written letter.

As if that will solve everything that she did to her. Even before she left.

Harry's thumb brushes over the back of Marley's hand. It soothes her a bit. The soft, light touch he tens to use with her is comforting. And the motion of his thumb is repetitive, as it circles around a small scar she's had for a long time.

The kind that will probably never fully go away. Always leaving behind a slightly raised, and lighter spot of skin.

Everyone is talking, and having their own conversations. But Marley is looking out the window at the rain and the trees that fly past at no more than a blur. And she thinks tonight is perfect. A little too pristine and golden and lovely.

Her chest is in knots. Her shoulders tensed. Because she can feel it. The sun setting on the perfect day. The sight of the school slowly getting smaller in the rear view. The rain washing away the memories until they are just that. Distant, half-blurry visions that stay in the back of your mind until they vanish completely.