eleven

Marley runs out the metal doors and into the parking lot. Doesn't care that she could get detention for skipping. She just needs to get out, out, out.

Because he kissed her. Harry kissed her. So she slapped him and she's angry, angry, angry.

"I can't believe I slapped him." Marley speaks aloud because no one is around to hear. No one is ever around. Not really.

Except maybe one. But he kissed her. Harry kissed her. So she slapped him and she's angry, angry, angry.

You didn't slap him, Marley.

And she could quite possibly be growing even more insane.

"What do you mean?"

I did.

Marley stops walking.

"No, no, no. That's not true. You can't do that. You're just a voice in my head!" She gripps her hair in her fingers. Looks down at the pavement as she walks and stumbles into a short stone wall.

She catches herself before she falls. Sits on the edge with her head in her hands. "No, this...it's n-not possible!"

And Marley is all cold fingers and half-crazed minds and sleeveless black dresses that hang a little too loose.

But he kissed her. Harry kissed her. And she didn't slap him, so she's not so sure anymore if she's still angry, angry, angry. But she could quite possibly be growing even more insane.

Well, don't be a baby about it. And Maria is oddly giddy inside Marley's half-crazed mind.

But Marley cries. For messing up their first kiss. For wanting to kiss him again. For him not following after her so he could try to soothe her like he always seemed to. For her undeniable decline of sanity.

After a moment she glances up. Sees the boy whose troubled kind of green eyes remind her of summer grass and warm breezes walking toward her.

And smiles softly. Because he came after her after all.

He sighs in releif when he sees her. Doesn't say anything as he walks over. And sits down wordlessly next to her at a reasonable distance.

And she could quite possibly be growing even more insane because after a moment she glanced up and saw the boy whose troubled kind of green eyes remind her of summer grass and warm breezes walking toward her.

And she isn't sure if she's still angry, angry, angry.

And he's not sure if he's still angry, angry, angry.

But that's okay because maybe they can just be angry together.

"I'm sorry I slapped you." Marley says despite her earlier realization. Which still scares her. A lot. Because Maria has never been able to control her body before.

And Marley is all cold fingers and half-crazed minds and sleeveless black dresses that hang a little too loose. And she might be a little too broken for fixing.

"It's okay, I deserved it." Harry says. Can't stop looking at her even though she won't look up from the pavement. "I shouldn't have kissed you."

For some reason Marley's heart sinks. And she realizes that she didn't regret the kiss. Just the way it ended. But maybe Harry was just being impulsive. It didn't mean anything to him.

The thought makes Marley sigh in sadness. "It's fine."

But it's not fine. Because the girl whose crystal blue eyes remind him of icicles and frost-bitten noses and who doesn't eat her lasagna, and whose sleeveless black dress hangs a little too loose, can't be fine.