thirty

Walking into school Monday morning feels like a dream. Marley's weekend turned out to not be so horrible after all. And a smile spreads across her face when she sees the boy who fell asleep in her tent with her yesterday.

But she's still Marley Parker. And despite anything that happened on that trip, she is still terrified of all things fragile and vulnerable.

So she walks up to her locker instead of Harry. Turns in her combination completely oblivious to the green-eyed stare from across the room.

He stopped in the middle of his sentence talking to Xander. And Dorrit found it hilarious.

"Please, for the love of God, go ask her to homecoming or something." She says.

"Hmm?" Harry returns his attention to his friends.

"You. Marley. Homecoming." Xander smiles. "Go ask her."

"That lame dance in celebration of our dumb football team that never wins anything?" Harry says. Doesn't want to admit he was thinking of asking her. "Yeah, okay."

"Hey, girls like dances and courtship and all that shit." Dorrit insists. "And it's a good start. If she's still shy with the two of you, then you go as friends. It's like a date she can't say no to."

"But I mean, she just spent the weekend with you." Xander points out. "If she says no, I will personally be offended."

Harry rolls his eyes. But smiles all the same. Because his friends are right.

So he walks across the floor toward the girl who pulls him in like a magnet with her cold fingers and crystal blue eyes. "Hey."

"Hey." She says. Pulls her binder out of her bag before looking up at him.

"How was your weekend?" He smirks. "Do anything fun?"

Marley closes her locker. A small smile on her mouth. "Yeah, I almost drowned."

"That's not funny."

"You saved me, didn't you?" She leans sideways against the lockers like him.

"I was lucky." He can't help the hand that reaches forward and tucks her hair behind her ear. "I am lucky."

"You're cute when you're worried." She says before she can think.

Harry smiles. "You're always cute."

"No, I'm not." Her natural reaction is to brush off the compliment. Because how can she be cute when she isn't skinny? How can she be anything even remotely attractive if she isn't lovely?

"I beg to differ." He insists. Leans in closer.

She doesn't back away.

His eyes lock with hers.

She glances quickly at his lips.

They're inches apart.

"Hey, Marley! Hey, Harry!" Acacia interrupts them on purpose. Harry is sure. Marley backs away. Acacia hands them both a button pin. "Vote for me for Homecoming Queen!"