fiftynine

Harry thinks about Marley as he lays awake, quarter to one in the morning. He tries to sleep but he can't get her out of his head.

He hasn't seen her since this morning. And he's worried. Really worried.

So he does what any love struck and slightly obsessive teenage boy would do. He calls her.

At goddamn quarter to one in the morning.

It rings and rings until Harry has all but given up that she will answer.

But then she does.

"Do you know what fucking time it is, you crazy person?" But even over the line and through the sound of her sleepy tone, he can hear the smile in her voice.

"Hey." He says lamely. Smiling now that he knows she's okay. And because he sort of is a crazy person.

"Hi." She says. Laying her head back down on her pillow. Closing her eyes. She can hear his breathing as they sit in silence for a moment. "Is there a reason you called, or...?"

"I was worried about you." He says. Holding the phone to his ear with one hand and propping his head up with the other.

She sighs. "Go to sleep, Harry."

"Marr." He protests.

"I'm fine." She insists.

He pauses. "Where did you go today?"

Marley sits up. It's no use. She will tell him eventually. She wants to. But she doesn't know where they stand at the moment. "Why do you care?"

"Baby, don't do that." Harry says.

She pulls the hood of the sweatshirt she's wearing over her head. Because it's always so cold in her house. And realizes it's his sweatshirt. Laughs to herself.

"What?" He asks.

"Nothing." She can't help but smile. "I just realized I'm wearing your sweatshirt."

"Oh." He smiles. Lays back on his pillow so he's staring at the ceiling. "What else are you wearing?"

"Harry." She playfully scolds.

"Kidding, kidding." He smiles at the stucco. "Mostly."

"You're a perv." Marley laughs.

"Yeah but I'm your perv." He says. Drawing out the words in the slow, drowsy way he talks. Also because it's late and he's trying to be quiet.

It doesn't matter what he's saying, Marley could listen to him talk for hours.

"Harry?" She says.

"Hmm?" He hums.

She pauses a moment. Latches her teeth onto her bottom lip as she contemplates. "Can you come over?"

"Aren't you the one who just cursed at me about the time?" He smiles. "And called me a crazy person for calling you?"

"Yeah but... stuff happened today. And I want to talk to you about it. And I want to make sure we're okay..." She smiles at her own joke before she even says it. "And I don't think I have enough minutes on my phone for that."