six

"Can I kiss you?"

Their lips are just centimeters apart but it might as well be miles because Marley is all cold fingers and half-crazed minds who is lost in her own thoughts and feelings and is so completely unsure of herself and everything around her.

So they stay there, breathing the same air. Noses brushing. Lips so close. But never connecting.

"Do you want me to kiss you?" He rephrases the question. His soft breath fans over her cheeks.

"I don't know." She says softly. It's almost inaudible.

All he can think is that she didn't say no. But doesn't want to push her. So he doesn't move.

Because he thinks a girl with eyes like hers just might be worth being patient for.

There is a muffled voice yelling outside the car and Marley breaks away. Turns to see her brother storming out of their house. "Shit."

Jax looks sick. His skin a bit pale and his forehead glistening with a sheen of sweat. But he is not dealing with the flu. He's going through withdrawl.

Marley climbs out of the vehicle. Doesn't look at the boy with a troubled kind of green eyes. The boy who almost kissed her. "See you tomorrow, Harry."

She may have been only somewhat okay with him seeing her house but this is one thing she knew he shouldn't be around for.

"Where the fuck are my drugs?" Jax nearly shouts as he reaches his little sister. Shoves her frail figure into the expensive car behind her. Knocking her bag off her shoulder.

"Don't fucking touch her!" Harry yells, coming around the front of the car. He's horrified and angered by Marley's brother's actions toward her.

Harry shoves the older boy away. Steps in front of the frail girl who is all cold fingers and half-crazed minds with crystal blue eyes that remind him of icicles and frost bitten noses.

"And who the fuck are you?" Jax sneers up at the much taller Harry. "This isn't any of your business, kid."

"You made it my business when you shoved her into my car." Harry's tone is low and intimidating as he stares him down.

"She deserved it."

Harry takes a step toward Jax before Marley suddenly grasps his upper arm. Pulls him back. "It's fine, Harry."

"No it's not fine." He turns to glance down at her.

And Jax, being the narcissistic asshole he is, saw an opportunity. And takes it.

Harry stumbles half a step backward at the shock of the impact on his jaw. Knocks into Marley who isn't quite as sturdy on her feet. And sends her to fall against the car once again.

But it only takes a second for Harry to react and swing back at Jax. Knocks him fully to the overgrown grass.

With the extra advantage, Harry steps closer to the boy whom he still has no name for. Swings his boot into his ribcage once.

"Touch her again and that will feel like nothing." Harry turns and steps closer to Marley again. Forgets about the boy on the grass when he sees her rubbing her sore shoulder. "Are you alright?"

She throws a nervous glance at Jax as he slowly sits up. Nods in response to Harry's question despite the ache in her spine from both impacts with the Range Rover.

Marley sighs and tips Harry's chin up lightly with her cold fingers. Examines the darkening red mark on his jaw.

He fights back a smile at the contact.