fiftyfive

Harry has been distant.

For three days.

And Marley has noticed.

Nothing much is different, though. They walk together to their classes. Harry drives her home and picks her up. And they have somewhat normal conversation.

But Marley can see it in his eyes and in the way the corners of his mouth don't turn upward as often as before and how he doesn't crack as many jokes or have something cute and funny to say.

Something is bothering him. And she just wants to know what it is.

So when he pulls into her driveway, Marley speaks up. "Want to come in?"

Harry licks his lips before taking the bottom one between his teeth for a moment. He doesn't look at her.

His slight pause is enough to make Marley speak again. "I know there's something wrong with you. Won't you tell me?"

"It's nothing." He shakes his head. Because he doesn't know how to approach the subject. He can't just say he knows she used him. And although he told himself he was okay with it, in a way he knew he wasn't. "I'll come inside."

Marley nods and gets out. She's been holding back the three words she's wanted to say. Several times she nearly uttered it simply because she wanted him to snap out of whatever it is that's hanging over his head. But she feels like it has to be the right moment. So she holds it back.

Because Harry has been distant.

The car beeps behind them as he locks it. And Marley pulls out her keys as they approach her front door.

It's been a few days since they were totally alone like this. Aside from sitting in his car. And Marley finds herself a bit nervous.

Wordlessly she pushes the door open and heads straight for the stairs. He follows just as she knew he would. Closing the front door behind them.

Harry stands in the doorframe to her room when she enters. As if the walls he's built up keep him from entering the space. And for some reason it angers Marley. She doesn't understand what he isn't telling her or how it could affect him this way.

She drops her bag next to her bed and turns to face him. A pang stabs in her chest when she sees he's looking at the floor. As if he can't even look at her.

Maria has been quieter lately. Ever since Marley said those words she's been wanting to say to Harry. As if Maria has given up part of her fight for Marley to stay away from him.

But she still finds moments of weakness like this to mutter the exact words needed for maximum effect.

Maybe he doesn't love you anymore.

Marley walks over to him. And without hesitation, she stretches up on her toes to kiss him. Desperate to prove Maria wrong.

He responds and kisses her back. But it's not enough. She wants him to say he loves her. Which he hasn't in several days. And more importantly, she wants him to show her that he does.

Harry lets her pull him into the room. Even sits on the edge of her bed when she gently pushes him in that direction. But he makes no move to deepen their kiss. And doesn't touch her aside from his hands settling on her hips when she straddles his lap.

He pulls back from their kiss. Planting a single peck to her neck to soften the blow of his coming rejection. "Marley..."

Her heart drops. And her eyes sting.