forty

Then there you were,
As I saw my Juliet
come graceful down the stairs
It's hard to miss
The way her eyes light up the room
And still the air
Do you feel us falling?
'Cause I feel us falling
Do you feel us falling?
'Cause I feel us falling...

[ Goodnight Moon by Go Radio ]

___________________

Vivian has already done her hair and makeup by the time Marley gets there. Her golden locks are spun in an elaborate and elegant up-do. Her eyelids glistening with light, rosy glitter shadow to match her dress.

Harry walks Marley up to the bathroom where his sister is waiting for her.

"You ready?" Viv smiles.

And Marley is slightly terrified. "For what?"

"Your hair." She pats the back of the chair she set up in the middle of the floor. Just for this.

"Umm..." She figured this would happen. She did agree to get ready here with Vivian, after all. "Yeah."

Harry takes the hanger in her hand which has her dress. "I'll hang this is Viv's room."

"Thanks." She smiles. But he doesn't really return it. They've been this way since he said he loves her. A whiplash of hot and cold.

Yet, they've sort of always been that. Because Harry is fire and Marley is ice.

"So do you want your hair down, or up?" Vivian asks.

"I... I don't know." Marley sits down in the chair. And sets her hands in her lap.

"Well, are you going to be dancing? Because if you are, I suggest up. You won't get as hot that way."

"Uh, yeah." She shrugs. "Maybe up. I don't know if I'll be dancing. I can't really dance."

"Leave it to me, I know exactly what to do." Vivian's smile both reassures and scares Marley.

"O-Okay..." She's surprised to see Dorrit when she walks into the bathroom. Her hair is already done but her face is clean and untouched.

Ugly bitch.

"Hey!" Dorrit smiles. "We all were wondering when you'd get here. Carrie is freaking out over what earrings to wear."

The fat one is here, too?

"Tell her the purple ones are fine. No one will notice if they're a shade lighter than her dress." Vivian says as she twists a curling iron into a section of Marley's hair.

She should be more worried about the color choice. Can you say purple elephant five times fast?

"I'm sure her dress is lovely." Marley says. Tries to keep her voice calm but the statement is just slightly far enough away from the topic that it sits awkwardly in the air.

That is until Vivian smiles and says, "so is yours. You have to tell me where you snagged that little gem."

"Are you doing your own makeup, Marley?" Dorrit asks her. "I did Viv's if you want me to do yours."