1.

bold italics = english
underlined = person on the other line of call (phone call and ear pieces)

bold italics = englishunderlined = person on the other line of call (phone call and ear pieces)

Donghee sat alone in her bedroom. Her mind was clouded with depressing thoughts. She was there in the room to watch a surgery gone wrong. Everything was going so well. That was until the immense drop of oxygen levels.

The scene replayed in Donghee's head, tugging at her heart more each time. She couldn't process what she felt about it. The whole day, her mood had been brought down.

She couldn't stop thinking about the moment until her phone rang. It brought her out of deep thought.

markerina markus is calling...

Without thought, Donghee accepted the call and put her phone on speaker.

"How may I do the pleasures, monsieur?" Donghee spoke.
"Heeeee~ I was wondering if you're free? I'm bored and your ass stick of a brother is on a mini mission." Mark whined on the other line. Donghee didn't need to see his face to know he was pouting.

Donghee had lived in Australia for a period of her life, hence the reason why she was fluent in English.

"Damn I don't know monsieur, I'm pretty tired right now. Maybe you can hang out with one of the others?"
"Dude no one talks anymore, remember? You're my only friend that isn't these people. I think I'm going insane being stuck here. Dude didn't even let me leave the mansion for food. Can you believe him?" Donghee let out a hearty laugh at his sudden rant.

"Fine, my apartment is waiting. Lemme guess, popcorn, pizza and Spiderman?"
"You know it bro!"

It only took an hour for Mark to finally arrive. Mark opened the door with his key, immediately greeted by the smell of pizza and buttery popcorn.

"Don't forget to lock the door!" Donghee exclaimed from the living room. Just like ordered, Mark locked the door. He slipped off his shoes and walked into the living room.

"Dude Taeyong is actually so infuriating now. The place is so quiet y'know?" Mark sat himself down on the couch beside Donghee.

Sometimes, Mark was more of a brother than Donghyuck. Unlike Donghyuck, he didn't avoid her and distance himself from her.

"You'll be fine. What'd you even say to him anyway?" In short, Mark was the only member that knew about Donghee's existence.
"I just said I'm going to my mum's grave for a few hours and he let. Quite simple if you ask me." Mark replied with a proud smile. Donghee said nothing, only nodding her head.

The night Mark picked Donghee up a year ago, was the night Mark broke the news to her. He told her everything about NCT, who they really were, and who he really was.
Donghee of course wasn't supportive of the whole idea but it was their life - what control did she have over it? Donghee didn't let their job get in the way of anything, they were still who they were - mafia or not.

Hours passed and they both sat face to face after finishing the movie. They ranted to each other about their week. Donghee being on her second last month of placements, so things were getting busy.

"Don't even get me started. There's this girl in one of my group assignments and I swear if she says one more thing I am going to slap her so far that her head will get stuck up someone's ass!" Donghee threw herself back onto the couch in frustration. All that was heard was the loud contagious laugh that belonged to Mark.

"Dude be careful. You never know, maybe your head will be up in her ass." Mark laughed. With light force, Donghee kicked him. "Please the most she could do to me is pull my hair before she'll claim she broke a finger." Donghee rolled her eyes.

Before Mark could make a response, Mark's phone began ringing. With a small groan, Mark reached for his phone and answered the call. Mark put the phone on speaker, not bothered to hold it.

"Mark, where are you?" The familiar voice spoke from the other side of the line.

Donghee recognised that voice. It was their leader, the terrifying leader that Donghee probably had a nightmare about.

"Hyung I already said that I'm at my mum's-"
"Where are you then? I was going to pay my respects with you but I don't see you here." Panic began to grow in not only Mark, but also Donghee.

"What? No way, no you're not there.." Mark managed to mutter. Then, Taeyong turned on his camera, showing him standing alone in a dark cemetery. Mark didn't know how to feel. He felt like his heart stopped beating and his blood got cold.

"So? Where are you?" Taeyong moved the camera back to his face, looking into the camera with a raised brow. "If you're not gonna answer, then come home with a good explanation. If not, you can clean the training room for two weeks."

Nothing else was heard when Taeyong hung up. Donghee stared at Mark's phone in utter shock and fear for the boy.

"See this is why I have nightmares." Donghee turned slowly to Mark.
"Imma get going before Taeyong actually whoops my ass. Imma have to see you next time Hee." Mark stood from the couch, grabbing onto his jacket and immediately rushing out the door. Donghee watched as he left.

It felt as though the warmth he emitted also left. Donghee slumped her shoulders in her seat. She pondered on when the next time she was going to meet her actual brother was. From what she remembers, the last time she and Donghyuck had met was last month.

Family didn't have to be by blood, right? She proudly called Mark a brother. He was the brother Donghyuck couldn't be.

ehet honestly this book is gonna focus on A LOT of character development in different ways so enjoy

ehet
honestly this book is gonna focus on A LOT of character development in different ways so enjoy