22

My time at the hospital had been going pretty fast. I'm finally able to walk on my own now, which is leaving me with magnificent signs of recovery. The only thing we're waiting on for me to be able to go home is for my medications, which won't be here until tomorrow.

I haven't heard from Karl at all, let alone see him in this room to visit me. Even if he has a girlfriend now, it's only common courtesy to see an old friend that just awoke and survived a long lasting coma. It honestly surprised me, I didn't think he had it in him to do this but I guess I was wrong about the guy overall.

I carefully got out of bed and finished grabbing the rest of the hung up photos on the wall and put them into my storage box. I grabbed the many that were of Karl and I and ripped them up to put in the trash. There was no need for them anymore.

Clarissa had informed me that she'd come to pick me up when my meds were in. I was excited to get out of the hospital but also scared. I hadn't gone outside at all for 10 months now, almost a year, even if it only feels like 1 month to me.

I took notice to how my room had been decorated and soon realized it was Karl who decorated it for me. I wonder what stopped him from seeing me? Was it Corinna? Had to have been.

My thoughts were interrupted by a light knock on the door. I'd assumed it was Dr. Regans so I assured him a 'please come in' while continuing to pack up my stuff.

"Hi Kylie"

I froze. I recognized the voice from anywhere. I turned to see the one face I never thought I'd see again. Karl Jacobs, standing in the doorway of my room.

I noticed he looked significantly different. His hair was fluffier and bouncier than that day filming the lego video, and I had noticed his style upgraded. He wore a black turtle neck with some light wash joggers, along with air forces. I noticed his chain necklace and matching bracelet, along with his painted black nails.

I smiled at him warmly. "Hi Karl". I picked at my knuckles slightly, nervous to be seeing him like this. I quickly reviewed how I looked: an oversized graphic tee with leggings, my hair was messed up after not being brushed that morning and I didn't have any shoes on, just my fuzzy socks.

Karl stared intently at me, melting into the sound of my voice.

"Wow I feel like it's been decades since I've heard your voice, or see you standing and moving." Karl flips his hair and messes with it with his hands. I half smile at him, directing for him to sit at the window seat with me. He did so, watching the birds fly by the window, sat there in silence.

"Why are you here" I whispered, staring down at my knuckle intently, scratching at them almost too harshly.

Karl looked at me with hurt in his eyes. He looked back out of the window and sniffled. I knew he had tears in his eyes, I just didn't want to admit that I had some of my own as well.

"I missed you" he whispered, so lightly I was barely able to hear it. I nodded gently, wiping the small tear and returning my gaze to the window. I got up after a few awkward seconds of sitting there, returning to packing my boxes.

"I um, I came to give you this." Karl handed me my moms locket.

"I've been looking for this" I smiled, taking it from his hand and rubbing the heart shape gently with my thumb. I quickly put it around my neck and look up at him.

"Thank you for bringing it" I half smile, returning my focus to packing my boxes.

Karl just stood there. I knew he wanted to talk but I just wasn't ready.

"You go have a good day Karl. Thanks for stopping by, couldn't have left here without this locket." I half smiled again, hugging him half heartedly to get him to leave.

"Say hi to corinna for me." I scoff, laughing slightly at my words as her turned around in the door frame to look at me apologetically. I look back at him for a couple seconds to end everything off with a shrug as he walked out the door. I stopped pretending to look like I was busy and slide down the wall and sat to the floor, bringing my legs to my chest and hugging them for dear life.

I bawled. I couldn't handle seeing him today, I didn't want to see him at all. Why did he have to come see me? Why couldn't he have just given the locket to someone I knew like Jimmy? Why did he have to come here?

I flooded my brain with multiple questions and eventually got up to take a walk around the hospital. I stopped at a friend I managed to make at my month there and said hey to her before walking past her room.

I used this time to clear my head.