37

i woke up in a sweat, barely able to catch my breath. the air around me was hot, then cold, then hot, then cold. i couldn't figure out where i was or what was going on.

"MOM!" i yelled, hoping to get her into my room to calm me down. i felt fidgety and anxious.

i stood from my small twin bed and dragged my trembling body to the door of my childhood bedroom, ready to search for my parents room for some comfort.

that's when i smelled it. the smoke coming from the cracks of my door frame were now unbelievably visible as i coughed up a storm. i reached for the handle of my door only to be met with a burning hot metal scorching into the skin of my palms.

"MOM? DAD? WHERE ARE YOU" i pleaded and pleaded as i banged on the door in front of me, scared to be burned from the fire that rested just in front of me, only a thin piece of wood separating me from burning alive.

"KYLIE HELP US" i heard my parents voices, screaming for help. i toughened myself up and took my blanket off of my bed and used it as a barrier between my bare skin and the hot rod i used to be able to call my door handle. i opened the door and found my parents.

their lifeless bodies laid inside of the fire. i smelt the burning flesh and saw the blackening of their skin. i screamed and cried until i felt a hand on my shoulder, shaking my helpless body into the pits of darkness.

"KYLIE wake up" karl shook me awake, startling me out of the bed and onto my trembling feet. tears streamed down my face and the sweat beads on my forehead and back fell downwards as i panted for air. cold air. i looked down at my hands to find that they weren't burnt and were completely fine. i took my head in my hands and screamed before continuing to pant as i fell to the floor, trembling.

"oh. my god are you okay?" karl stood from the bed and came around to where i was with the most concerned look on his face ive ever seen. i pushed away from him and backed up into the corner of the walls that enclosed karls bedroom and continued to shake.

karl stepped toward me and reached his hand out to my shoulder, wondering what type of dream i was having.

i pushed his hand away and backed further into the corner with fear. "dont touch me.. DONT TOUCH ME" i screamed, panting endlessly through my tears. the panting was so heavy and fast, it made me light headed. i saw black spots as i looked around, searching for karl. i didn't want it two seconds ago, but i searched for his touch. i needed him to comfort me, and i needed it now.

i heard his voice, faint but clear. he was talking to my aunt.

"please come quick, she woke up sweating and screaming endlessly. she called out 'mom' quite a few times. the screams were violent clarissa, you need to come NOW" karl said, fear and anxiety in his voice. i heard his sobs.

"karl" i whispered, holding my arms out searching for his touch. karl shot his head straight toward me and wiped his face, speed walking as fast as he possibly could toward me. he bent down and helped me to my feet, immediately grabbing the back of my thighs and lifting me up to carry me in his arms.

"i'm here" he whispered. my panting and sobs slowed down to the sound of his sweet, gentle and soothing voice. i became less tense and he used one hand to hold me onto him and one hand to rub my back as he walked around, swaying slightly in attempts to calm me down.

i fell faint to his shoulder, almost falling asleep as he set himself slowly and gently back down on the bed keeping me in a straddle as his arms were loosening his grip. he laid back as i repositioned myself from a straddle to just sitting in between his legs, my back against his chest. he laid back more as i tried my best to fall asleep again. he kept his pace at scratching and playing with my hair with one hand and the other tightly gripping my hand. that is until we heard a pressured knock coming from the door.