Chapter 1.2

Image: Sehaèri, Princess of Pendarazloch by D. Denise Dianaty

Sabrina spent the rest of the morning in her office with Lady Selémahs nar Ruschar, chief attendant to the Guardian and therefore Sabrina's main ally in keeping Mara's life running smoothly. In between the myriad tasks involved in managing the Royal Household staff and finances, Sabrina found time to talk herself into a slightly more confident acceptance of Mara's scheme. Selémahs, who had a quiet serenity remarkable even among Miahns, listened to her, sympathized, and gave advice where indicated.

Once she agreed with Sabrina's assessment that Rayland was the most probable choice for regent, Sabrina relaxed. She liked Rayland, and she was sure he wouldn't interfere with her much, or if he did, that she wouldn't mind—much. On the other hand, Mara's other remaining close relative, her great-aunt Imari, first chair of the Council of Trême, regarded Sabrina as an interloper and a bad influence and would be an extremely uncomfortable boss.

"It will be good for them to get away and learn to be married without all this other stuff," Sabrina remarked.

"Yes," Selémahs said. "It will do them a great deal of good, I am sure. And perhaps it will not have to be so disruptive here. Commander Rayland is still on medical leave, so it will not interfere with his other duties, and everyone has a great respect for his judgment. However," she sighed, "it will not be a popular move, and the people have still not adjusted to the marriage, which, I am sure you know, was not popular either."

"I know," Sabrina said. "But if we can stop these attacks, or at least stop them occurring right here in Praxatillus' space, some of that will improve."

"Almost certainly."

"And if Homeworld sees that we're not keeping Khediva tied to Praxatillus, maybe they'll let up a little, give us an opportunity to make some kind of truce."

"Perhaps."

"At any rate, something has to be done."

"Inarguably."

Sabrina glanced at Selémahs and grinned a little. "I'm sorry. We've been over this a dozen times, haven't we?"

Selémahs smiled back. "And we will go over it a dozen more, if you need to. But I rather think we might find it more useful to go over a plan for operating in Her Majesty's absence, since that is the situation we are facing."

"Well," Sabrina mused, "I suppose we could start with giving leave to the ladies-in-waiting and maids, rather than having them here eating their heads off."

Selémahs frowned for a moment, deciphering the Earth idiom, then said, "I wonder whether it is wise to remove that support from them, however, at this difficult moment in Praxatillus' economy. Jobs are scarce."

Food is scarce, Sabrina thought. She knew she had lost weight since she had come to live on Praxatillus, and it wasn't just because of anxiety and overwork. Selémahs had a point: the royal treasury might be nearly bare, but they had an obligation to support the economy as far as they could by providing what jobs they could. With the Xoentrol War over, trade had picked up again, and farming was reviving; if things had continued uninterrupted, Praxatillus should have been harvesting enough to feed its depleted population by next year. However, now that they were at war with Homeworld, their trade was threatened again. Few cared to risk running into a Wayfarer force for what meager reward Praxatillus could offer.

Sabrina shrugged the problem away, glad she wasn't the one responsible for solving it. Managing temperamental ladies-in-waiting and supporting Mara's royal lifestyle on almost nothing seemed easy by comparison.

There was a knock at the door, and Sabrina called, "Come in."

Sehaèri ya yel Oännavhghaï nar Rischlov, Princess of Pendarazloch and the lady-in-waiting on duty this week, entered. Her solemn brown eyes swept the room, then lightened a little as she smiled at Sabrina, nodding a greeting. "Sabrina, I am going to lunch with Miosch now, if you or Her Majesty should need me."