Chapter 19: Give and Take

Sabrina threw herself into her work with a will, hardly noticing how the time passed until two days later she found herself boarding a military flyer to travel to the palace at Bathir. The Telurian traders' ship had made orbit a few minutes earlier, and the rest of the welcoming party were in place. Sabrina ignored the arguments of those who wanted her to stay in Dansestari and let the Minister of Economic Affairs and General Zhahghai handle the occasion and tried not to think that news of the arrival had been deliberately delayed, in the hope that she would choose to let the ceremony go on without her rather than hold it up by being late.

Lately it seemed as though a tacit conspiracy had sprung up to make sure she adhered to Mukryilla's directions about her security, both the letter and the spirit. She supposed she must have begun to be more careless about it as she began to consider her own death an imminent inevitability. Before leaving to help at Bathir, Tassan had scolded her about it. But then, it was hard to tell which made him angrier: her carelessness of security or the fact that she had ordered him to Bathir. She missed him terribly and felt herself punished sufficiently for that action, which she had taken to quiet the rumors commenting unfavorably on his apparent status as the regent's pet.

But rumors or no, scoldings or no, he must come back for the funeral. She needed a good night's sleep before the ceremony, and she no longer slept well when he was not there to guard her. She wondered if she would get a chance to see him alone today, to tell him.

The flyer banked, and she glanced out the window to see a large lake, gleaming silvery grey in reflection of the overcast sky. On an island in its center stood a large building of creamy stone, with fanciful turrets at the corners and an air of elegance marred only slightly by the helipad on the roof. As they drew closer, Sabrina saw that what had once been formal gardens behind the palace had grown wild, and that there were several curious depressions that might once have been ornamental ponds.

Beside her, Justek said, "The palace is a modern one, built only five hundred years ago in the reign of Princess Féisandra, cousin to King Baldaran. The original palace of Bathir, dating to the Bahgheiran Empire, was aging beyond repair, and the princess deemed it uncomfortable and unattractive besides. Some of its ruins are still in evidence on the other side of the island."

"It looks like a French chateau," Sabrina said. "Only with picturesque ruins. At least, I assume they must be picturesque?"

Justek said, "I don't know. I've never been to Bathir."

They landed without incident and were greeted by a pair of guards, who ushered them into a small, unobtrusive lift. It descended swiftly, and they found themselves in a small waiting room. Tassan and Ryaen Blaisop were there to greet them.

"The General thought he ought to remain with the delegation, in case the Telurians arrived early," Ryaen said apologetically.

"Quite right," Sabrina said. "Come along, I'm well aware I'm late. I guess I have to ask you to take my word it wasn't for any frivolous reason."

"Oh, my lady, of course not. No one thinks so," Ryaen said, horrified.

Tassan said, "Well, it's apparent you weren't doing your hair."

Sabrina's hand flew to her hair; sure enough, the pins that held it in place were coming loose. She put it to rights as they walked, glancing at Tassan's stern, withdrawn expression. "Thank you. The wind blew it around a bit as we got out of the flyer," she replied with dignity. "Does the rest of my appearance meet with your approval? Or if that's too much to expect, at least your forbearance?"

He paused and examined her critically. "I don't like that gown, but from what I've heard of the Telurians I suspect you've chosen well. And we can only hope they don't look close enough to see what all that powder on your face is meant to be disguising."