Chapter 20: The Funeral

Sabrina was one of the last to arrive at the military academy that morning, by Mukryilla's orders. She hadn't been allowed to travel with Scotty, who had gone earlier with Mukryilla; her only companions in the flyer were Darice and Rndara. Reauwina and Aliza had travelled to Dansestari for the funeral but had not come to the palace, on Sabrina's instructions, for their own security. Everyone else was in place when Sabrina entered; she was glad protocol forbade her to greet anyone as she walked down the aisle and took her seat in the front of the gathering, nearest the bier. Beside her, Scotty grimaced in greeting and reached over to pat her arm awkwardly.

A profound silence settled over the assembly. Then, softly, the chorus of the military academy, grouped at one side of the bier, began to sing. It was a moving arrangement of an ancient song of mourning; legend had it that Corweign had written it himself after the death of a comrade in battle. It was often sung for and by soldiers, and Rayland had sung it himself many times. The lyrics lamented the loss of a brave and noble friend, lauded his courageous deeds, and ended,

"Let me never shame your memory with any of my actions;

Let me always be worthy to be called your friend.

The grandness of your spirit and the courage of your heart

Will guide the path of my life until we meet again."

It was a prayer and a pledge that Sabrina echoed in her heart, and she knew that Scotty did too as he sat very still with his head bowed.

Next came the off-planet delegations. It was unusual to have foreign dignitaries sing at any but a monarch or Guardian's funeral, but Rayland's long career had benefited the entire Realm. In the interests of time, only the Lthosyenne ambassador was allowed to sing; afterward, other allied representatives came forward one by one and laid an offering at the bier. Owryden caused something of a stir in the audience when they came forward and laid a basket of grain at the foot of the bier. The Telurians had had no contact with Praxatillus for centuries and had not known Rayland, so their participation was more of a gesture meant to honor Praxatillus, as was their offering of food.

Chief Councillor Oria of Deltarr then sang a high, keening dirge. She had known Rayland for many years and had surprised many people by participating in the funeral personally. It was rare that any of the pacifistic inhabitants of Deltarr formed lasting friendships with soldiers, but from Oria's song it was evident that she had always considered him a man of peace, forced to fight in defense of his home and family.

Afterward came a string of Rayland's friends, most of them soldiers, most of them retired. They included Leran nar Daroun and General Zhahghai, stoic in their sorrow, and Selémahs, who, in addition to being distantly related to Rayland's family, had also been a relative of his dead wife.

Mukryilla followed this group. She stood for almost a full minute before she began to sing, and it was evident from the roughness in her voice that she had needed the time to squelch tears. Sabrina was glad that everyone sang facing the bier, with their backs to the audience; she did not think she could have borne to watch Mukryilla's expression as she sang. Tears slid down Sabrina's cheeks as she listened to the raw emotion, the aching loss that the words conveyed:

"The sun has gone, gone forever.

Shadows arrive with darkest depths.

Where is your brightness, your warmth,

Your light to guide my steps?

I have only memories, not your presence.

They are as a candle to a hundred suns.

Shall I never find you again,

So that my grieving will be done?

The sun has gone, gone forever.