Chapter 10.1

Late the next morning, Sabrina stood in the Reception Room and officially gave Ambassador Olviron and his new attaché their orders. Just a few minutes earlier, she had formally released Haaron and Éllina from their former duties; now she bade them a formal, official good-bye, not knowing whether to be grateful the schedule didn't permit a more personal one.

Ambassador Olviron looked more resigned than anything; he hadn't objected to Haaron, but Sabrina could tell he thought he was being handed a favorite to baby-sit. Lady Imari had made no objections, nor had Rassir or Minister Leyahrt, once Sabrina pointed out Haaron's unique qualifications. She wondered if any of them realized that this was the last thing either she or Haaron wanted to do. She would feel bereft when Haaron and Éllina were gone. Somehow it was like losing another piece of Scotty. And she knew the couple were concerned about her. Éllina had protested at the accelerated departure; she had wanted to find someone to fill her place before she went. Haaron had hastily convened the Citizens Council and accepted Joara Narendra's offer to take over liaison duties, so at least Sabrina didn't have to worry about that. And Rayland assured her that everything possible was being done to find and retrieve Scotty.

But it was hard to go back to the round of meetings and paperwork (even if it was paperless). Still, she must try; things had to keep going. She tried to ignore the increased security around Palace Royal and the tension among the military personnel, but it only added to her own conviction that Homeworld would use Scotty's plea for her removal as an excuse to assassinate her. Well, at least she had Haaron in place now. He would fight for the peace initiative whatever happened.

Therenden and Selémahs both made time to visit her that evening, both guessing she would be missing her friends and brother; Rayland spent an hour with her after dinner, both of them trying to avoid mentioning Scotty. Somehow it only made her feel worse.

"I am so very sorry, my daughter," he said as he left.

She shook her head. "In the end, he was still my responsibility, you know," she replied.

"No," Rayland said. "This was my fault. I only hope I can make amends."

When he was gone, she tried to focus on an agricultural analysis of the desert principality of Zarn, but the list of repairs to the irrigation system was too daunting for someone already dispirited. She looked up eagerly as Justek came in. "Sorry to disturb you, my lady," he said, "but I wondered if you were receiving anyone tonight."

"I suppose," she sighed. "I'm not doing much good here. Who is it?"

"Citizen Nikolar says he has a personal petition he would like to present. He is waiting, but I told him he would probably have to make an appointment."

"No, I'll see him," Sabrina replied.

Justek left, and a few moments later Tassan entered. He glanced around her study as he bowed, his gaze resting for a moment on the portrait of King Baldaran.

"I hope you approve," Sabrina said, glancing up at it. It hung on the wall to her right, in a position where she could comfortably glance at it, and was not usually the first thing people noticed in the room.

"I expected you to hang it over your seat," he replied.

"Making a political statement? But I told you I wanted it for its own sake, not for politics," she said.

"I suppose I thought you might combine the two," he shrugged. "You had convinced me of your artistic sense; I would have had no objection if secondary considerations had influenced its position in the room."

"Well, I would have," Sabrina told him flatly. "My secretary says you have a petition, Citizen?"

"Yes, my lady," he replied, returning to formality. "I have heard of your wondrous rosebushes. They are said to be gloriously colored and delicately constructed. I wondered if I might see them, and perhaps paint them—when you are not enjoying them, of course. I would be happy to make a gift of one of the paintings to you if I am allowed to proceed."