Chapter 14.2

Sabrina felt panic creeping up on her as she arranged her audience—though she tried to think of them as her support group. Rayland, Imari, and Rassir stood behind her, with Mukryilla and Scotty off to the side, out of transmission range. Sabrina nodded to a technician, and Asnefer's image appeared on the screen.

"Ah," Asnefer said. "You have reached your decision swiftly. Good."

"This is not the sort of information I wish to transmit," Sabrina said. "I guarantee your safe passage and request that you come down to Dansestari to hear our terms."

"You are in no position to make conditions," Asnefer said.

"On the contrary, High Tirqwin Asnefer. We are still in control of the Great Crystal. You will overpower us in the end, perhaps, but not before we have cost you a great deal. Why not listen to us? We wish to survive; we are trying to be reasonable. There are certain guarantees you must make for us before we surrender anything to you."

"I have already guaranteed the safety of your citizens. That is as reasonable as you can expect under these conditions. I do not believe you would risk losing more of your population by engaging in a useless, losing battle against us."

"Don't you?" Sabrina said quietly, drawing herself up very straight. "Think about what we went through to rescue Tirqwin and Khediva from you, Asnefer. Consider how much more I am willing to do to save a planet full of people."

"This is not rational," Asnefer said.

"I am human. We are not always rational," Sabrina replied. "If we were, my brother could not have hijacked your Wayship. That was not rational. But it worked."

Asnefer paled under her dark skin, her eyes glinting with rage at the reminder. "Very well. I will come and listen, but that is all. And if anything should happen to me, Dansestari will be sterilized and we will take possession of the Great Crystal."

"You have my guarantee of safe passage," Sabrina said. "Please transport to our main gate in half an hour; an escort will be waiting."

Asnefer nodded and cut the transmission. Sabrina whirled to face her companions. "Meet me in the Throne Room in half an hour."

"Where are you going?" Imari demanded.

"To change clothes!" Sabrina flung over her shoulder as she sprinted out, Darice in tow.

______________

It took her longer than she expected; her apartment was intact, but there were several heavily damaged areas on the most direct route from Defense Control. "Darice, quick, you'll have to help me. Find me something in deep mourning and a new sash," Sabrina said as they hurried inside her rooms.

"My lady," Rndara exclaimed in surprise, emerging from the study. "I thought you were evacuating!"

"Not until I've had a good go at a parley," Sabrina replied. "Rndara, I need another dress—back in deep mourning." She tore the tiara from her hair and began unpinning it. "What are you still doing here?"

"I came to see if I could help. Sehaèri and Aliza aren't fit for duty, and Reauwina's volunteered in the infirmary. I thought if you were evacuating, I should try to save some things." Rndara vanished into the vast closet, her voice muffled. "Zav volunteered for the Dansestari militia."

"Is there such a thing?" Darice exclaimed.

"There is now," Rndara replied. "If it's going to come to hand-to-hand fighting within the palace, we'll need everyone we can get. Will this do?" She emerged with a simple dress with a deep purple velvet bodice and satin skirt of a slightly lighter hue.