Chapter 21.4

Despite his assurance, Scotty had not returned by the time the celebratory dinner began. Sabrina was in a state of near panic until she saw Mukryilla in the antechamber outside the Formal Dining Hall. The commander's calm expression was instantly reassuring.

"Scotty said he would be back for this," Sabrina remarked as casually as she could.

Mukryilla raised an eyebrow. "It seemed a long way to go for a short stay. I ordered him to stay overnight so he'd have the opportunity to do a patrol, since he was so interested in our garrison there." She leaned closer, speaking more softly. "A courier run would have looked suspicious. We don't want Lady Imari to get wind of what you're doing. Besides, if they have any information for you, it will take time to compile it and get it to Scotty without anyone noticing."

Sabrina only had time to nod before the Telurian delegation arrived and it was time to lead the way into the Dining Hall. The dinner went smoothly, though it was the largest Sabrina had yet hosted, with nearly the entire court in attendance. Everyone seemed eager to celebrate the good news of the trade agreement; it was a long time since they'd had something to celebrate.

Sabrina motioned for the waiters to fill everyone's glasses with a special wine, the last vintage of Praxatillus' most famous vineyard, now blackened by an Xoentrol attack. It would be years, if ever, before it produced anything again, and the Royal Chamberlain had carefully hidden the wine away under King Baldaran's orders, to be drunk when the War was over. The King had either forgotten, or hadn't had the heart for it, by the time the War ended, and it had lain in its hiding place until Sabrina asked for something special for this dinner.

Speechmaking at dinners like this was a pretty universal custom, Sabrina knew. As host, she went first, praising the Telurians for their courage and gracious assistance. Owryden, seated on her right, made a polite speech in response, saying how excited their people were to gain a new trading partner. Then Sabrina picked up her glass and said, "On Earth, we have a custom called a toast. One person expresses a sentiment, and everyone else raises their glasses and then takes a sip of their drink to signify their agreement. Tonight we are privileged to have a rare and precious vintage, left us by the late King in hopes that we would find something to celebrate. I think we have." She raised her glass. "So I would like to propose this toast: To new friends and new beginnings, and all those who have gone before who made this moment possible."

The Praxatillians awkwardly raised their glasses and drank as she did. Sabrina's glance happened to fall on Tassan and Arval, who were seated beside each other; they wore identical expressions of appreciation as they tasted the wine. The two very different faces, for one moment sharing the same expression, made her smile.

Owryden said, "If I may, I would like to propose a toast as well. To our new partners: a people of enduring courage, gracious hospitality, and superb taste in wine!"

Sabrina laughed and clinked her glass against Owryden's. But before she could drink, one of the waiters passing behind them stumbled, knocking her against the table. Searing pain lanced through her left side as she tried to catch herself, and she heard Owryden give a strangled gasp. She managed to turn around, though she was still partially entangled with the waiter, and saw the bloody serrated knife in his hand, poised for another strike. Is that my blood? she thought, dazed, even as her body fell back on its training and she swung her arm at the waiter's wrist to knock the blade away from her.

In an instant Darice was there, kicking the knife away. It skidded under the table as she hauled the waiter onto his feet. He lunged for the table, grabbing for the silverware, but Darice pulled him back out of reach.

Sabrina remembered to breathe. It hurt. She crossed her arms across her ribcage; her right hand felt a spreading warm stickiness on her gown. Her legs trembled and she tried to sit down, nearly missing the chair. Rassir, seated on her left, saved her by pushing it under her.