Chapter 6.3

Sabrina's meeting with Rassir was followed by one with Rassir, Rayland, Mukryilla, Minister of Foreign Affairs Mendani nar Leyahrt, and the head of Praxatillus' intelligence-gathering force, Ferostahn Thala. Sabrina was familiar with Minister Leyahrt from her sessions with the Council of Ministers and knew him for a thoughtful, clear-minded man, if a little protocol-bound, but Ferostahn Thala was a stranger. One of the few non-Miahns in the upper ranks of the Ministries, Thala had a reputation for being careful, thorough, and impossible to surprise, qualities which made her inferiors regard her with awe.

"As far as we can ascertain, Homeworld has made no move yet in response to your speech," Thala said. "Considering that they believe they have destroyed Wayship Khediva, they may think you are merely blustering after the fact. If we have neither the Ship nor the Tirqwin, there is no reason for them to attack."

"They're bound to discover their mistake sooner or later," Sabrina said.

"Yes," Rayland said, "and we must be ready. Repairs to our orbital installations are proceeding according to schedule, and we hope to be able to accommodate the Lthosyenne grain shipment when it arrives in a few days."

"Yes, this is a limited breathing space; we'd better take advantage of it to import all we can," Sabrina said. "We don't know how Homeworld will react when they learn Khediva is alive. They may strike at us in retaliation, or to draw her here." She frowned. "My problem is, I can't very well approach them to talk about an armistice while they're laboring under this delusion. It would be bad faith, and that's all we need!"

"We need this time," Leyahrt said. "Let them discover it when they do; until then, let us keep quiet and rebuild."

"Yes, that's the wise thing," Sabrina sighed. "When the truth is out, then's the time to talk peace."

She was aware of skeptical looks from everyone but Rayland. Rassir said, "We must make the attempt, it is true. But we must also consider that it will probably fail, and be ready to withstand whatever Homeworld does."

"Yes," Sabrina said, "obviously. But we cannot stay at war forever. Sooner or later we are going to have to make some kind of truce with Homeworld. Sooner would be better for us all."

"You speak rationally," Rassir said, "but their hatred of us is an irrational thing."

"Their hatred is based on fear," Sabrina said, "and fears can be dissipated. We must convince them that we have no desire to harm them."

"How do you plan to do that," Mukryilla demanded, "after millennia of suspicion and war?"

"Arbitration, to start," Sabrina said. "Obviously our two planets could give each other assurance after assurance, and if neither of us believes them, then it does no good at all. But if we can find a neutral party whom we both trust, who will guarantee to penalize either party if they renege, then we might be able to get somewhere."

"Lthos?" Leyahrt guessed.

"I think so. They are our oldest allies, yet they have always maintained relations with Homeworld as well. They are the perfect arbiters."

"This has been tried," Rassir reminded her. "There have been four Treaties of Lthos. All were broken."

"I've studied those," Sabrina said. "They were all signed by Praxatillus' ruler and ratified by the Council of Ministers, but the Guardian and the Council of Trême were never signatories. That's nonsense, when it's the Guardian Homeworld's really afraid of."

Rassir said, "You do not have the authority to negotiate on behalf of the Guardian. None of us do."

Sabrina said, "I've looked into it, and since Mara is both Queen and Guardian, anything I sign in her name as Queen binds her as Guardian too. But I propose to have Lady Imari countersign anything I do in the way of an armistice, and to have the Council of Trême as well as the Council of Ministers ratify it, just to be sure everything is right and proper."