Chapter 10: The Betrayal

Sabrina first began to realize something was wrong at dinner, which she was eating alone. She had expected Rayland, but he was unavoidably delayed at Control and had sent word to her not to wait for him. That in itself was not unusual, but the way her household was quietly avoiding her indicated something bad was happening. She didn't think she'd been out of temper enough for them to be wary of her; there must be some news no one wanted to be the bearer of.

"Scotty!" she exclaimed aloud.

Izana dropped the tray of dishes she'd been clearing, and the clatter of the china brought Darice and Sehaèri running. Sabrina rounded on the three of them. "What's happened?" she demanded. "Is there word of my brother? Where is he? What's happened to him?"

Izana bowed her head and busied herself with the broken dishes, leaving the others to exchange glances, both clearly wanting to defer to the other. Finally Sehaèri said softly, "Izana, go and bring her ladyship some wine."

Darice's hopeful expression faded, and she took a deep breath and plunged in. "My lady, your brother is on Naferi Station, an independent trading outpost two systems over from the Wayfarer Homeworld. It used to be a mining outpost for the planet it orbits, which was once rich in särad crystal, but when the crystal supply was exhausted the outpost was abandoned. Some of the miners stayed and founded a prosperous trade station."

"Enough history, Darice! What about Scotty?"

"He has apparently gone there to ask for sanctuary."

"From Homeworld? But—"

"From us, my lady," Darice said, very quietly.

Sabrina's lips soundlessly formed, "From us?" She sat there, numb with shock, her face draining of all color and expression.

Sehaèri watched her in concern, then added, "He has made a public statement transmitted throughout the Realm. He appears quite safe and under no compulsion. He...he looks well."

Darice shot her a tight-lipped glance and said, "Commander Rayland is analyzing a recording of the message now and will bring it to you shortly."

Sabrina spread her right hand out on the table in front of her. The royal signet glinted in the light. "What does he accuse me of?" she said tonelessly.

Darice and Sehaèri exchanged another glance. When Darice spoke, it was as if the words hurt her. "He said that you engineered the Tirqwin's marriage to our Queen, knowing it would cause a war. He said you convinced them to go away so that you could rule, that you hate the Wayfarers for kidnapping you and that you want an excuse to destroy them. He...gave the impression that the Queen is under your influence and will obey your instructions."

Sabrina closed her eyes. "Not a twisted Way, but a twisted truth." A twisted knife, cunning and cruel. "Does he urge any action?"

"He says you are a threat to galactic peace and must be removed," Darice said resolutely.

"And do people believe him?"

Sehaèri said quickly, "No, no one here believes it, my lady. How could they? You are not mad; any fool can see that! And Lady Ælieni knows you; she will not let Lthos believe it either."

"But Homeworld will believe it, because they want to," Sabrina said in a brittle voice. She got to her feet.

"Where are you going, my lady?" Sehaèri asked, worried.

"I had better write my will, hadn't I, if I'm to be assassinated at my brother's urging?" Sabrina retorted as she stalked out of the room.

____________