Chapter 14.3

Sabrina sat up very straight, gripping the arms of the throne and taking a deep breath. She had to make Asnefer believe in her as a worthy opponent; for that, she had to believe in herself. She took another look at the militia, people who believed in her already. And so many, she realized. If there were four companies, and they all numbered about sixty, that meant more than two hundred people had volunteered for duty. Most of the civilian population of Dansestari must have chosen to volunteer rather than evacuate, she thought.

They were a brave people, the Praxatillians, and ready to die rather than surrender to their ancient enemy. It was frightening. Sabrina had thought she was resigned to her own death, but now she realized she wanted very much to live.

Asnefer, escorted by six of Rayland's most impressive officers, appeared at the end of the room and began striding down the long aisle, ignoring the honor guard. Her cool grey gaze bored into Sabrina, who felt a sort of fey calm settling on her. She held Asnefer's gaze steadily, her chin lifted. She was not merely Sabrina Devon, she told herself; she was the scion of a proud family who had ruled and defended Praxatillus for over thirteen thousand years. She did not have their blood, but she had their spirit. Rayland would not have chosen her as his daughter otherwise.

"High Tirqwin Asnefer," Sabrina said coolly when Asnefer reached the foot of the dais. "You still demand our surrender?"

"Yes." Asnefer said, managing to conceal her impatience.

"And by what right do you make this demand?"

Asnefer looked taken aback, just for a second. Then she regained her composure. "Because you cannot defend yourselves against your enemies."

"But you do not know that for certain," Sabrina said.

"Your defenses are destroyed. You do not have the firepower or other technology to secure yourselves any longer."

"There are forces other than technology," Sabrina pointed out.

"Hardly," Asnefer said. "Even your vaunted Great Crystal is a product of Wayfarer engineering. Stolen, I might add. We merely ask that you return it to us rather than allow it to fall into unscrupulous hands."

Imari said, "The Great Crystal was not stolen. It was found and tuned to Miah's control by those who had renounced all ties to Homeworld. It was never within your control, and you have no right to attempt to take it."

"Homeworld does not recognize the right of its citizens to abandon their loyalty to their planet," Asnefer retorted. "I do not care to waste my time in fruitless quibbling. You must surrender to us because we offer you the chance for survival, under our protection. The Reissians will not offer you such generosity."

Sabrina said, "And if we do not choose to accept your...generous...offer?"

"Then we will be forced to make you accept it," Asnefer said. "Understand this: under no circumstances will we permit the Great Crystal to fall into the hands of the Reissians. If we must fight you in addition to fighting them to achieve that, then we will. But many of your people will die. Place yourselves in our protection now, without bloodshed, and they will live."

"What precisely does your protection entail?" Sabrina inquired.

"I am not a politician," Asnefer said, a trace of contempt in her tone. "But I imagine you will be allowed some autonomy. All higher governmental functions, such as your ministries, will be transferred into Homeworld's governmental structure, as with all our colonies. Your people's travel might be restricted somewhat; population controls for Miahns will almost certainly be imposed. Other than that, I believe you will be largely left alone."