Chapter 4.1

Haaron and Éllina rose uncertainly to greet her when she entered her living room, having shed Darice at the main door with a quick request for refreshments.

"Haaron! Éllina! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you," she said, smiling and holding out her hands to them. She stopped, frowning a little, as the couple made obeisance to her. "No, none of that among friends, please! I've had enough for one day. Sit down, please, and tell me how you've been."

She dropped onto a comfortable, soft couch, and the couple sat on nearby chairs. Haaron smiled and said, "I see power hasn't changed you, Sabrina! Though I doubted that it would."

"Yes, you should know me well enough by now to realize I detest all this bowing and scraping, even when I'm on the receiving end," Sabrina said. "Oh, what a day I've had! And it's not over yet! I shudder to think what's lurking behind the seemingly innocent word 'dinner.'"

Éllina smiled. "I have heard that many of the provincial governors have come up to Dansestari, hoping to see you. I suspect you may find yourself eating with them."

"I knew it wouldn't be fun. But on the other hand, I've got to meet them sooner or later, and at least I'm partially shielded from hard politicking at the dinner table," Sabrina said. "It's so good to see you both! Oh—I know you left a message for me, but I haven't had time to look at it. I do apologize."

"Don't," Éllina said. "It was just to say that we understood you would be too busy to see us for a while, and that, with everything changed, I quite understand about the job offer."

"Understand what?" Sabrina frowned.

"That you won't need me."

"No! If anything, I need you more now than I did then. I still need to hand some of those things off, Éllina, and I still think you're the person for the job—if you want it."

"I would be honored to serve," Éllina said.

"Wonderful. Thank you. We'll talk about it more in a minute. Haaron, I have a job for you, too, if you think you'd like it."

Haaron sat up a little straighter. "I, too, would be happy to serve in any way that would assist you."

"I spoke to Prime Minister Rassir this morning, and he says he doesn't have an objection to my gathering a body of citizens—just normal people—to advise me about what it's like on Praxatillus outside Dansestari. I want someone from each province, not military or civil service, just ordinary citizens. I'll ask the governors to send me someone of their choosing, but I'll need someone here to be my liaison, to make sure they're all housed and fed and have a place to meet and a way to communicate with me. I want you to be that liaison, if you will."

"I would be honored. It sounds a worthy task," Haaron said. "And, being an ordinary citizen myself, I applaud your idea."

"Great. So you'll be my Citizens' Council liaison, and Éllina, you'll take care of the royal wards for me. Their personal needs are taken care of by the Council of Trême, since they're all Miahns, but you'll need to keep an eye on the stewards of their estates. Oh, and the crown has to approve their petitions to marry, so I'll want you to keep an eye on developments in that area so you can advise me."

"That should not be a problem," Éllina said.

"Thank you." Sabrina looked up at a knock on the door. Justek entered and said, "Prime Minister Rassir wishes to meet with you prior to dinner to brief you on the governors you will meet there."

Sabrina sighed, rising. The Haarons did likewise, preparing to leave. Sabrina said, "If you need help, contact Secretary Sansfir. I'd better go let Rassir lecture me or I'll be in for it later."