Chapter 21: Close Encounters

Sabrina was not expected to work that day, so there were no meetings scheduled. She used the afternoon and early evening to catch up on paperwork, correspondence, and a few other matters needing her attention. As she was beginning to think about going to bed, her comconsole chimed urgently at her, and she saw that an incoming call had been flagged for her eyes only. She answered it and was surprised and pleased to see Haaron's face. It must be important for him to be using precious inter-system comm time. "Haaron! How are you?"

"Sabrina, I'm pleased to see you well," he said, with a brief smile. "I have some news for you."

"About Éllina? I've heard already. Congratulations!"

Haaron was taken aback. "Oh...no, not that. I gather you've spoken to, um, our mutual acquaintance, then. I did hope to be the one to tell you, but I suppose it doesn't matter. Thank you for your good wishes. We are hoping you will stand with us at the child's naming ceremony."

"I'd be honored," Sabrina said. "I should have known that wasn't what you wanted to tell me; you look far too unhappy. What's happened?"

"We've come as close as I think we can get to reaching an agreement with the Wayfarers about the meeting. But I don't want to agree to the terms until you've given them careful consideration. I don't like them."

"If you don't, I'm sure I won't," Sabrina sighed. "I gather you're at an impasse?"

"Yes. Ambassador Olviron threatens to wash his hands of the entire project if we don't agree; the ambassador from Homeworld says this is his final offer. I've sent the details along via a diplomatic courier. I felt they were too sensitive to send in any way that might be intercepted without our knowledge."

"I understand. I'll be on the lookout. So, you don't like it...but you feel we have no other option?"

"I'm afraid so. The thing is...forgive me, Sabrina, but you may not be qualified to judge just how dangerous this is. I would feel easier in my mind if the Tirqwin and Khediva could review the proposal. If this is not possible, I strongly advise you to speak to Chief Councillor Oria of Deltarr."

"All right," Sabrina said. "I have a feeling I'll be glad of the advice. Don't look so depressed, Haaron. I'm sure you did your best. None of us thought this was going to be easy. Even to have had the dialogue with Homeworld at all is a great diplomatic triumph for you."

He shook his head. "You made it possible with your own triumph."

"Oh, don't call it that," Sabrina sighed. "Nothing that cost so much should be called a triumph."

"I'm sorry," he said. "We watched the funeral. It was...heartbreaking. We wished we could have been there with you. You did marvelously."

"Thank you. I'm glad it's over." She decided not to tell him that she was now a Reissian target again. "Haaron, if anything should happen to me, you must see this through. Remember that."

"I will," he said, his expression growing even more somber. "How is Scotty?"

"His old self," Sabrina said, with the hint of a smile. "Carrying on in his own inimitable way. I'm glad to have him back. It's impossible to descend into melodrama with him around."

Haaron's mouth quirked into a grin momentarily. "Yes, I know. He has a way of getting to the basic truth of things. An excellent talent in an officer."

"A little tact now and then wouldn't hurt him," Sabrina said wryly. "But he hasn't been back very long, so I'm still finding him refreshing instead of irritating. He sends his congratulations too, by the way."

"And we send him our best regards." Haaron paused. "For you, we send our fervent support. Think about this carefully, Sabrina. Don't accept it because you feel you must. If this is unpalatable, we will find another way."

"Haaron, in thirteen thousand years there hasn't been another way," Sabrina said sadly. "If this is the best we can get, then we'll have to take it."

"Don't say that until you see what you will be committing to," he said grimly.

"Don't worry. I won't make any hasty decisions. I know what's at stake. I don't want Tirqwin and Khediva's blood on my hands." She tried to smile, but it turned into a grimace. "Mara might stick me with this job forever, in revenge."

"I hope one day soon to see you unburdened, my friend," Haaron said wistfully. "You have carried a horrible weight since the day I met you."

"Every great undertaking needs a scapegoat," Sabrina said wryly. "It has its rewards. Now then, I must go, but do tell Éllina from me that she is to take the very greatest care of herself. And you are to take care of the both of you, and not worry too much. You did your best."

"I wish it could have been better."

"By your estimation, nothing would have been satisfactory," Sabrina smiled. "History will judge you more kindly than you do yourself."

"How history judges me," Haaron said, "depends on the outcome of this meeting. It's the least of either of our worries."

"Quite right," Sabrina said. "I'll get back to you as soon as I've reviewed the proposal. In the meantime, take some time for yourself and Éllina. I want you rested when I need you."

"I won't let you down," Haaron said grimly, and signed off.

Sabrina got to her feet with a sigh. "Darice!"

The bodyguard came to the door. "Yes, ma'am?"

"I think I'll retire for the night. Where do you recommend?"

"Not here," Darice said firmly. "Commander Mukryilla ordered me to see that you didn't spend the night here. I'm not to report your whereabouts to anyone, even her, and we're to stay out of sight of the palace staff as much as possible."

"Welcome to Paranoia Central," Sabrina sighed, but she was more pleased than otherwise with Mukryilla's precautions.

Darice gave her a half grin. "If it was up to me, ma'am, I'd transport you to the deepest cavern on Deltarr for safekeeping."

"Gee, thanks. I'd keep for centuries, deep-frozen," Sabrina retorted. "But I wouldn't be much good to Praxatillus, would I? How safe is my conservatory?"

"We don't think the Reissians know about it. Homeworld does, but they won't be sharing intelligence with the Reissians," Darice replied. "And proximity to the tunnel system is good. The Reissians didn't bother to map it before they invaded, and they didn't have time to do so while they were blasting their way to Giandrah. We could lose any pursuit there."

"Well then," Sabrina said. "The conservatory sounds good to me."

"I thought about setting up a secondary sleeping area for you in the tunnels," Darice said, "but I haven't had any time to do anything about it. Ideally we should move you around from night to night."

"This is your way of telling me you'd like some help?" Sabrina said.

"Oh, I recruited Citizen Nikolar. He was down with the Commander this afternoon." Darice barely smothered a grin. "She was trying to get him to take a commission, and he was trying to get her to assign a trained bodyguard instead of him. When I left they had agreed to disagree and were discussing perimeter surveillance and decoys."

"That must have been a clash of the titans," Sabrina murmured. "Don't leave the choice of site to him; he really would stick me in the deepest cavern on Deltarr!"

"Nah," Darice said cheerfully. "He comes from a desert province, remember? He hates the cold. Now then, let's get you ready and be on our way."

"Ready?" Sabrina echoed.

"Yes. It's part of the Commander's plan. She told me to tell you, if you balked at it, that it's one of the perquisites of your job."

Sabrina raised an eyebrow at Darice's grin. "Why does that make me very, very afraid?"