Chapter 3: The Prince's Children

When Scotty came up to Khediva the next morning, he was surprised to find his sister wearing an expression of calm determination that unmistakably meant she had made her decision. "Did you talk to Tirqwin, then?" he asked, sliding into a chair across the table from her.

"Yes. We will accept the adoption this morning. The official ceremony will be held at the Council of Ministers session this afternoon. Mara and Tirqwin plan to leave tonight."

Scotty cocked his head, trying to figure out what felt so odd about her announcement. "Aren't you gonna ask me if I'm sure?"

"No." Sabrina seemed to realize she had been too curt, because she added, "I thought you made yourself quite clear last night."

"Yeah, but I didn't think you were gonna come around without worrying it to death first."

Sabrina shot him a sharp look. "I have decided to become decisive."

He grinned, digging into his breakfast of scrambled eggs and hash browns. "Should be fun."

Khediva said, "Haaron reports he will be delayed, but that he and Éllina wish to speak to you, Sabrina."

"Oh, God, I offered Éllina a job yesterday," Sabrina groaned, remembering.

"So?" Scotty said. "You need all the help you can get. Bein' adopted won't change that."

Yes, but I didn't tell Éllina she'd be working for the Lady Regent.... "That's true," she said. "If anything, it'll add to my workload."

"Rayland told Mukryilla about it," Scotty said. "I ran into her this morning and she gave me this look, like she's gonna be harder on me than ever."

"Why does that make you think Rayland told her?"

He grinned again, finishing his mouthful. "Bein' Rayland's son isn't gonna make it cushy for me, Rina. Just the opposite. It's a lot to live up to, and everybody'll be watchin' the whole time to see if I trip up."

You have no idea.... "Yes, there will be a lot to live up to," she said. "Rayland is exceptional. It's...a terribly great honor."

"'Terribly' is probably the right word, all right," Scotty said. "Sounds like 'terrifying.'"

"You've changed your tune since last night."

"No, I haven't. I still wanna do it. I'm just realizin' all the stuff it'll mean."

"Wait until you read the protocol for a royal adoption ceremony. The last one was five thousand years ago, and the ceremony's based on an ancient Praxatillian rite, not a Miahn one."

"Boy, you don't waste any time, do you? You read the script already?"

"Yes." She did not tell him she had done so while searching for regency precedents. At least one of us should really be surprised, she thought wryly. She was in for it; she might as well derive what amusement she could from seeing Scotty's expression when he was asked to hail her as Lady Regent. "We have to wear white, something simple."

"Well, it'll be a change from all this purple. Want some chocolate milk?" He got up and went to the provender panel.

"No, but I'd take some hot tea."

He grinned, setting a steaming mug in front of her. "Tryin' to get used to bein' waited on?"

"I doubt I'll need to. I'm still going to be a working woman, remember."

Khediva announced, "Tirqwin and Mara are coming aboard."

Sabrina and Scotty finished chewing their food, took hasty swallows of their drinks, and got to their feet, poised to make their obeisances to Mara. But Mara flew in, heedless of protocol, and threw her arms around Scotty, who was closest. "Well met, cousin!" she cried, hugging him.