Chapter 16.1

They found three separate teams planting explosives in the major tunnels leading to the Crystal Chamber; Sabrina told them the invasion had started and encouraged them to work as quickly as possible. Darice pitched in on the last tunnel, where they were furthest behind, while Sabrina gave in to her nerves and called Rayland. He said that the Reissians had set the Royal Residence on fire after snipers had taken out one of their landers with a few lucky shots. The shield had been retracted to below ground above Giandrah. Homeworld had lost one of their battle cruisers and several small fighters; Shahina had taken out one of the Reissian battleships. Scotty and Mara's ship was hard to track, weaving in and out behind the Reissian lines, but so far it appeared undamaged. The Reissians were having a hard time maintaining their aim in the disrupted space, but it also meant that the Praxatillian and Homeworld ships were having a hard time targeting the Reissians as well.

Sabrina told him about the Miahns and the Crystal, and he paused. "I should be there," he said. "I am one of the stronger remaining Miahns. I will call Subcommander Mukryilla to return and take charge here, and I will be there shortly."

"Be careful. We're mining the tunnels to collapse them if the Reissians get this far."

"A good idea. I'll let you know when I am nearby."

Sabrina and Darice returned to the Crystal Chamber. The space battle was even more stomach-churning to watch than before; the starfield rippled as if it were a flag in a strong breeze. She wondered how Scotty could possibly pilot in it.

It was not long before Darice's comlink pinged. Sabrina recognized Leran's voice. "Giandrah, they've broken through, they're headed downward from the Residence—"

The transmission ended abruptly in static. Sabrina bit her lip and looked at Selémahs. They were supposed to get married in a few hours.

"Come on," Sabrina called to the militia. "Let's get our perimeter defenses set. We'll fall back and collapse the tunnel if we have to."

"This way," Darice said, "if they're coming from the Residence."

"You, and you," Sabrina said, pointing at random, "go guard the other two tunnels. Let me know immediately if you hear or see anything. Oh, and Commander Rayland is on his way from Control. Make sure he gets here."

Everyone scattered in grim silence, except the motionless Miahns. Darice raised her comlink and said, "Control, this is Darice. We have word that the Reissians are en route from the Residence. Can you confirm?"

"Confirmed," came Mukryilla's strained voice. "A squad's on their heels. We've blown up part of the Residence to block the tunnel entrance. There may be anywhere from a dozen to thirty Reissians, but they will be the last from that direction. Do you need further reinforcement?"

"I think we can handle this," Darice replied. "I'll report back when it's over."

"Miah's blessing," Mukryilla said, then signed off.

Sabrina knelt and took Prince Zav's blaster; he didn't need it right now, she reasoned, and she did. Darice frowned but didn't stop her.

"It's a good thing," Darice said, "that you didn't move into the Residence, my lady. They won't have found anything there."

"It doesn't sound like Mara will be able to live there either after tonight," Sabrina replied. "When we rebuild, we'll have to make it a little less conspicuous."

They moved into the tunnel. The first line of defense was just around a corner; the Reissians wouldn't have time to spot them before coming into range. Others were carving out niches in the walls to cram themselves into, and the rest were using the rubble to make rock piles for cover.