Chapter 7.1

Sabrina never did get to her roses that evening. It took Therenden several hours to lead her through the ramifications of the shrunken Miahn genetic pool, their current social relations with Lthos, and the Council of Zentos' outlook on things. Then they landed on the question of precisely how badly the Lthosyenne in question's heart was set on marrying Zav, and Therenden called a minor member of the Lthosyenne delegation on Praxatillus, Lady Alananria Lthairi, with whom he said he had had many interesting cultural conversations. She said she would be delighted to assist them, and arrived shortly after their call. Therenden introduced the two women to each other and briefly explained what they wanted to know. Alananria laughed.

"Oh, dear, I had no idea it was causing such consternation! Surely you know that marriage will never happen. At least, not unless the Triumvirate decides to break once and for all with the Wayfarer Homeworld. Can you imagine their reaction if one of the Triumvirate married a Miahn?"

Sabrina sat back, unsure whether to laugh or gasp in horror. "Why didn't I think of that? And you don't think the Triumvirate's contemplating a final break?"

"No, I certainly don't. And I don't think you would encourage it if they were."

"No, I wouldn't," Sabrina said.

"Well then," Alananria said. She shrugged gracefully. "This is just one of Ælieni's whims, I'm afraid. She's very taken with Zav, but it's really quite impossible, not only for the political implications, but also because I doubt he'd care to abandon his principality to live on Lthos, as he would be required to do."

"The point is," Sabrina said, "that the Council of Zentos seems to be taking Lady Ælieni's petition quite seriously."

"Doubtless," Alananria said. "Unfortunately I can't see any help for it, until Ælieni comes to her senses. It would be the greatest impertinence imaginable for me to address her on such a subject. My advice would be to introduce her to someone more charming than Prince Zav."

Sabrina threw up her hands. "This is ridiculous. I can't afford to spend my time and energy on this! It's medieval!"

Therenden chuckled. "I take it you don't think throwing Captain Devon in Lady Ælieni's path would be a good idea?"

"No I do not!" Sabrina retorted. "You can't possibly be suggesting that Scotty's more charming than Zav!"

"Not to you, I am sure," Therenden smiled. "I doubt any of my sisters would have called me charming either. Put this out of your mind, Lady Sabrina. Tell Princess Rndara that it is only to wait, and eventually Lady Ælieni will withdraw her petition. In the meantime I shall look around for someone to distract her, to speed the process."

"Thank you for your advice, Lady Alananria," Sabrina said.

"It was my pleasure." Alananria rose and smiled at Sabrina, then at Therenden. When she had left, Therenden said, "It is a shame, really, that Miahn/Lthosyenne marriages are not possible in these times."

Sabrina lifted an amused eyebrow at him. "Smitten, Therenden?"

He looked startled. "I was not speaking personally. But the Council of Zentos has a valid point. And at times in our history when relations with Homeworld have been calm, there have been several Miahns who married into Lthos, and vice versa."

"I can't have anything endangering our one line of diplomatic communication with Homeworld," Sabrina said firmly.

"Yes, I understand that," Therenden said. He hesitated. "I hear that you have recalled Ambassador Olviron from Lthos."

"Only to meet with me. I'm sure he's the best person to be there right now, with all his experience."

"He's very old, and very cautious. I doubt the two of you will find many things to agree on," Therenden warned.