Chapter 2: Requests and Bequests

For the next two hours, Rayland subjected her to what felt like an oral exam of everything she knew about government, economy, diplomacy, and social etiquette. Then he smiled, thanked her, and excused himself, leaving her to wander back to her office in bewilderment.

Finding that Selémahs had given her up and gone off on some mission of her own, Sabrina finished balancing the Household accounts for the week, checked in with Sehaèri, and went down to the infirmary to visit Scotty. Éllina was there, since it was Haaron's turn to be aboard Khediva, and the three of them made small talk. As the daughter of one of the few non-Miahn ambassadors, Éllina was well acquainted with the court, and as usual the Devons gained some insights from her conversation.

Sabrina found it particularly helpful in regard to a few projects that Mara had delegated to her, especially those involving the flock of young, orphaned aristocrats and principality heirs who were wards of the crown. Mara, still very young herself, had turned the care and supervision of her wards over to the woman who had raised her, but Sabrina found that trying to enforce discipline in the critical air of the court was very different from the free rein Tirqwin had given her aboard Khediva.

It was one of the many full-time jobs Sabrina was struggling with these days, along with the royal household management and being one of Khediva's guards—not to mention marriage counselor for the Queen and Tirqwin. Without Selémahs' unofficial help, she would have crumbled under the weight of responsibilities long before now, she knew. I need more help, she thought. The ladies-in-waiting were all very young, still getting accustomed to their duties; they were more like little sisters than staff to Sabrina.

"Éllina," Sabrina said, after she and Éllina were driven out by the nursing staff, "I was wondering if you...well, I know you and Haaron want a diplomatic posting, and I'm sure you'll get it, but while things are up in the air I wondered if you might consider taking a job for me."

"A job?" Éllina asked, curious. "What job?"

"I was thinking, sort of an executive assistant. To be my stand-in and helper. I've got so much on my plate. Some of it can't be delegated, but some of it could, and some of it you'd do so much better than I do it. I'm...not sure what I could afford to pay you, but—"

"The experience would be invaluable, I am sure," Éllina finished for her. She thought about it. "If I'm not mistaken, most of what you'd like to delegate has to do with overseeing Her Majesty's wards and administering their estates."

"Yes. I don't know if you have any interest...."

Éllina grinned. "You should probably be asking me if I have any experience. I haven't. But I do have interest. And a career in diplomacy could only be helped by getting to know the next generation of planetary leaders."

"Could we give it a try, then, say for a month, and see what happens? I'm sure you'd like to talk this over with Haaron first, before you decide."

"Yes, though I am sure he will welcome the opportunity for me to gain experience, as well as put me in a position to help you. He worries that you are so obviously overworked."

"Believe me, so do I," Sabrina said. "Well, just let me know, would you?"

"Certainly."

_____________

Dinner that night was a state occasion, to honor a delegation from Lthos that had come to negotiate various trade issues with Praxatillus and its sister planet, Deltarr. Lthos was the second oldest member of the Realm and had been one of Praxatillus' most valued allies almost since the dawn of the Miahn race. It was as old and powerful a civilization as the Wayfarer Homeworld, and thus was one of the few allies unintimidated by Homeworld's declaration of war on Praxatillus. No announcement was made about a regency; Sabrina, seated at the foot of the table with various other non-Miahn officials, supposed that the Council of Ministers and Mara were still arguing about it.