Chapter 24.2

Scotty stood in Giandrah watching the wildly flickering Great Crystal, as Mara and a group of Miahns concentrated on it to no avail. Mukryilla stood nearby; she had held herself separate from the Crystal so she could continue to perform her military duties and was even now listening to a report via comlink. It was her expression, even more than the strained faces of the others, that made him afraid.

When Mukryilla lowered her comlink, he went over to her. "What's up?" he whispered.

"Scotty," she said gently, "it was a report from the Eye of Miah. Wayship Khediva was kidnapped—towed into a Way by another Wayship."

"But—that's impossible! It can't happen!" Scotty exclaimed.

"It has," she said. "The Lthosyennes confirm it. Homeworld is denying any complicity with the kidnapper. All three ships will remain in orbit until we learn more and can give some useful orders."

"Dammit! I knew I shoulda gone with them!" Scotty said, slamming his fist into the palm of his other hand. "Commander, let me go out there—"

"No," Mukryilla said.

"But why?"

"Because if you go, what is to stop the Queen from going? And she must not. You must set an example for her, help her accept the necessity of staying here."

"Commander, it's my sister! I can't not try to save her!"

Mukryilla took his shoulders and fixed him with a firm look. "She is not at Pharo any longer. When we find out where they are, I promise, I will not stop you from going—if you think that is the best way you can fulfill your duty."

Scotty grimaced at her, then looked over his shoulder at Mara's anguished face. "Can't that thing predict the future? Can't we find out where they are that way?"

"The Crystal cannot penetrate Pharon space, nor accurately predict any event immediately proceeding from it." Mukryilla frowned, contemplating the Crystal. "We must just wait."

"I hate waiting," Scotty muttered.

_______________

Tirqwin stood. "I am finished. We will be ready to go as soon as we emerge and Khediva gets her bearings. How are those sensors coming, Sabrina?"

"The physical connections are in place, but the computer's still locked up," Sabrina said. "I can't access anything. I'm assuming Khediva's still locked out too, since she's not talking."

"Yes," Tirqwin said. "Let us go up to the control deck. We cannot achieve anything more down here."

Sabrina's comlink pinged, and Darice's voice said, "My lady, someone—" She broke off, and a second later the transmission was cut off.

"Darice? Darice!" Sabrina said, shaking the comlink.

"Come on," Tirqwin said, grabbing her arm. They hurried up into Tirqwin's private sanctuary, and from there into the corridor. Tirqwin pulled Sabrina to a halt, and they listened to the voices coming from the control deck. They were too soft to make out clearly, but Tirqwin stiffened as he thought he recognized one of them. He put his lips to Sabrina's ears. "I will go in alone. Stay here. If I do not come back for you right away, go find a gun—I know your brother kept plenty aboard. Whatever happens, do not let this hijacking succeed."

Sabrina nodded and squeezed his hand. Tirqwin straightened his shoulders and walked to the end of the corridor, pausing just inside the control deck. Sabrina saw him stiffen and had a flash of premonition even before she heard the voice call out, "Elusha! Why, you don't look pleased to see me."