Chapter 18.3

Rndara arrived shortly after, and half an hour later Sabrina had washed up, changed clothes, and dabbed on some makeup to hide her pallor and the puffiness around her eyes. Mara and the others were still in the study, where Rndara had escorted Imari; from time to time she could hear voices raised angrily.

After one loud outburst, Rndara could not contain herself any longer. "What does she think she can achieve, making such a fuss at such a time? She should be consoling Her Majesty, not arguing with her! I never thought she could be so selfish!"

"We are all selfish in our grief, Rndara," Sabrina said wearily. "Imari lost not only her nephew, but her last link with the world she knew, the world she grew up in. We should try to be patient with her."

They heard the main doors open and close, and a few seconds later, Darice appeared. "My lady, Secretary Sansfir and General Zhahghai are here. They wonder if you might be able to see them?"

"All right," Sabrina said. "Where did you put them?"

"In the sitting room."

Sabrina nodded to Rndara, and they went into the spacious, sparsely furnished room that Sabrina thought of as a sort of formal living room. Justek and the General were standing in the middle of it, looking somewhat lost, but with an underlying excitement that encouraged Sabrina. "Good morning, gentlemen," she said. "Please have a seat. Would you like some refreshment?"

Her Aunt Euphrasia, she reflected, would be delighted to see how naturally the part of the gracious hostess came to her nowadays. Her guests shook their heads, and Justek said, "My lady, we are sorry to disturb you so early, but the General's news requires some rapid decisions and actions."

"That's all right, Secretary Sansfir, I'm sure you wouldn't have scrapped the schedule without a good reason," she said with a dry smile. He looked relieved and sat down, yielding the floor to the General.

"My lady," General Zhahghai began, "I am sorry to intrude on your grief, which I share; your father was a great man and will be sorely missed, not only by those of us who knew him, but by everyone."

"Thank you. We will all miss him. But I am determined to see that Praxatillus will suffer from his loss only in grief, and not in any more damaging way," Sabrina said.

"I am pleased to hear that," he replied. "My lady, I have had word from the trade delegation scheduled to visit here in two days. They still wish to come."

Sabrina, nonplussed, took a moment to reply. "Naturally, our trade efforts must go on," she said, "but...where on earth are we going to put them?"

"That's the question," the General said. "I don't think it's in our best interest to show them the extent of our damage. We want to make a good impression, so that we will be in a better bargaining position. Fortunately the Telurians are not a race that places great importance on social hierarchies, and I do not believe they will be insulted by not being received in our seat of power. They are a very egalitarian race; their social distinctions are determined by economic prowess. If the moon were resettled, I would say that was the perfect place for their visit. As it is, Secretary Sansfir and I were wondering if we could have permission to use the palace at Bathir. It is our most economically viable principality at the moment, and the palace is fairly modern. It is quite large enough to hold the Telurian delegation as well as a contingent from the Ministry of Economics. And there is a set of State Apartments, should you wish to stay there."

I wonder what the security's like, Sabrina thought, then hated herself for immediately leaping to that consideration. "I've no objection. But that palace hasn't been lived in for centuries. Can we get it ready in two days?"