Chapter 12: The Way Home

The next week went by in a blur, an endless stream of meetings, strategy sessions, and social functions. Sabrina's household returned from Aliza and Jahgh's wedding to cheer her with their descriptions of the beautiful woodland ceremony and the couple's happiness. Watching Sehaèri's eyes glow as she talked of the marriage, Sabrina wondered what would happen if her projected marriage to Miosch was stopped. It would be a pity, she thought. And yet if Miosch were really so set against it, it should be stopped.

Rayland had looked grave when she asked him about it. He explained that Miosch had been involved in a catastrophic rescue attempt during the War, evacuating citizens of an island city that was under attack. His ship had been hit, and he had been forced to leave a group of civilians behind to get the ones already aboard to safety. Nearly a thousand people, old and young, had died when the Xoentrols blew up the island. It was a savage burden to bear, Sabrina understood, but was it really an insurmountable obstacle? No blame had attached to him for it; there had not even been a hearing or any suggestion that it might have been his fault. Rayland had remarked that most Miahns suffering from such feelings of guilt or despair had sought, and found, some healing in the Crystal, but Miosch had refused, and no one had the power to force him to undergo the process.

So when Sehaèri, with bright eyes, glowing cheeks, and an excited smile, presented her formal petition to the throne, Sabrina was still undecided. "Sehaèri," she said gently, "nothing would make me happier than to be able to grant you this immediately, without condition. But I am not sure I can do that, both as your employer and as a member of Miosch's family."

Sehaèri's happiness vanished, and her old resentful look returned for a moment before she composed herself and sat down. "Why, my lady?" she asked stiffly.

"Miosch tells me that he carries a great deal of guilt from the war," Sabrina began.

"Yes, my lady, I know," Sehaèri interrupted, becoming excited again as she perceived a problem she thought she could solve. "He thinks he will never be happy, and that I would never be happy. But he doesn't understand. He doesn't see that I will never be happy without him, either. I would rather take my chances with him. Truly, I think he can be happy too, if he will let himself grow away from it a little bit."

"But he doesn't seem anxious to grow away from it," Sabrina said. "Or he would have gone to the Crystal."

"Yes," Sehaèri said, frowning. "But once he is married, and especially if we have children, he will feel obligated to put the past behind him and go to the Crystal, if necessary."

"Maybe," Sabrina said. "Sehaèri, I'm not going to rule on this one way or the other. I don't feel qualified. I want the two of you to go to a Matchmaker."

"A Matchmaker?" Sehaèri exclaimed. "I never thought you were old-fashioned, my lady! There aren't any anymore."

"There are. Ryaen Blaisop tells me there are a few left in the Tree Cities. I have asked them to come here, to help us with this rash of marriages. Go to a Matchmaker, Sehaèri, and let them decide whether Miosch is fit to be married or not. If you come back to me with the Matchmaker's approval, then I will be happy to approve your marriage."

Sehaèri sighed. It was clear she thought Sabrina was making unnecessary conditions, but she had no choice. "Very well, my lady." She got up, curtsied, and left, no doubt to go pour out her grievance to Rndara or another of her friends.

Sabrina sighed with relief. At least that was over. Sometimes she thought the role she played as surrogate parent to her household and the royal wards was even more demanding than her duties as Regent.

She had a few precious minutes to herself, and she decided she deserved a treat. She called Darice, and they went up to the conservatory. Tassan was not there, and Sabrina tried to stifle a pang of disappointment as she continued her ongoing task of replanting the rosebushes in the huge stone containers that lined the walls. The palace staff was putting together a wood lattice arch for over the staircase, where she planned to put her one climbing rose, which had soft pink flowers.