Chapter 9: Finding the Way

Sabrina managed to get a few hours of sleep after that, but when she woke it was to find Sehaèri at her bedside. "My lady, Prime Minister Rassir wishes to see you as soon as possible," she said. "I'll get Izana."

Sabrina said, "Thanks, Sehaèri. Just hand me my robe, would you? And tell the Prime Minister I'll be with him in a few minutes."

Sehaèri did so, going to the doorway and calling for Izana, who hurried in. Between them, they got the yawning Sabrina ready, putting the last pin in her hair as the main door opened and Aliza ushered Rassir into the study. Sabrina joined him a few seconds later, sending Sehaèri off to order refreshments for them.

"Good morning, Prime Minister," Sabrina said as she came in. "I hope you haven't waited long."

"I've kept busy," he said, with a wry half-smile. "I won't take much of your time; I know you must have a great deal to catch up on. I just wanted to inform you that Ambassador Olviron estimates he will arrive sometime tomorrow."

"Good. I want to get this thing underway," Sabrina said.

"Ye-es," Rassir said.

Sabrina stifled a sigh. "Please have a seat, Prime Minister, and tell me what's on your mind." She sat down behind her desk and folded her hands on it to keep from fidgeting.

"You have said you want the Miahn Councils involved in the peace talks."

"Yes. It's vital."

"I agree. And so, I believe you must inform Lady Imari of your intentions immediately."

"Immediately?" Sabrina said. "I haven't even worked out how to bring up the subject yet."

"You cannot, then, be aware that Teth nar Olviron was Mordryn nar yel Madrack's best friend."

Sabrina spread her hands. "No. Perhaps it would help if you told me who Mordryn nar yel Madrack is."

"Was. He was Lady Imari's husband."

"Oh. Ah." Sabrina thought about it. "You mean that Ambassador Olviron will probably tell Lady Imari why he's come back."

"I don't wish to accuse him of betraying confidentiality, but I think it likely that Lady Imari will make it her business to find out why he is here, and if she doesn't find out from him, she will doubtless find some other informant." Rassir paused. "I think she should be brought into the process at its beginning, to avoid offending her, and to obtain her insights."

"Yes," Sabrina said. "I was going to consult with my father about the best way to approach the subject."

"I think that is an excellent idea. You should also give some thought to whether you wish to give some other reason generally for Ambassador Olviron's return."

"I can't think of anything. Can you?"

"No. But perhaps something will arise," Rassir said. "Well, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the ramifications. I have a great deal to do today, if you will excuse me?"

"Certainly. Thank you, Prime Minister," Sabrina replied, getting up as he did. She walked him to the door, then turned and called for Aliza.

"Yes, my lady?" Aliza said, appearing a moment later.

"Ask my father if he will join me for lunch."

"Yes, my lady. Secretary Sansfir is waiting to see you."

"Ah. Send him in." She had barely made it back to her desk before Justek entered, giving her a rueful grin as he bowed. "Am I making your life difficult?" Sabrina asked him with an equally rueful smile.