Chapter 5: Center Stage

From the antechamber off the Little Ballroom—a terrible name, Sabrina thought, for something the size of a football field—they could hear the buzz of anticipation as the audience, already seated, awaited them. They paused at the massive wooden doors, where two palace guards stood at attention. At a nod from Rayland, the guards laid their hands on the doors, which swung open easily. A pair of heralds stationed on the inside of the doors blew a fanfare on their long, slender ceremonial horns, quieting the crowd instantly as they got to their feet.

"I think I'm going to throw up," Sabrina said between her teeth.

Rayland pressed her hand where it lay on his arm, then stepped forward into the room, forcing her to walk with him. They made their way toward the throne dais, against the outer wall and midway down the room. The crowd was so still that Sabrina could hear her shallow breathing and rapid heartbeat; the only other sound she could discern was the rustling of her skirt and the military officers' capes.

When they reached the dais, Rayland turned, bowed to her, and kissed her hand, smiling up at her for luck; then he walked to his own seat among the other Ministers. It was only then that Sabrina realized he was no longer using his cane, though he still limped.

She slowly climbed the three steps of the dais and turned, standing in front of the throne. Scotty and Darice took up their positions on either side of the throne, slightly behind it. Sabrina made herself take one good, long scan of the sea of faces turned expectantly toward her; then she seated herself in the fluid, graceful motion Selémahs had taught her. The audience sat down after she did, hushed and waiting for her first words.

Sabrina, conscious that she must not wring her hands, placed them on the arms of the chair with a firm grip. A flash of memory came to her of Mara's fingers whitening on the arms of the throne, waiting for someone to hail the Regent. It had been so important. The Regency was so important. She had to make it work. She thought of Mara, safe somewhere with Tirqwin and Khediva. This isn't for me, it's for her. I speak not as myself, but as her.

That seemed to let her breathe again. She swallowed against her dry throat, took an extra deep breath, and began.

"Greetings to you all. I have come to speak to you tonight as part of the task set me by Her Majesty Maratobia, Queen of Praxatillus and Guardian of the Great Crystal of Miah, my sovereign cousin.

"Only twice before in the long history of Praxatillus has a regent been called upon to lead our people. Both were spouses of the preceding monarch and parents of the succeeding one. Both ruled wisely and well, and gladly surrendered their duties when the time came. Though I differ in the former, I hope to emulate them in the latter.

"As many of you know, until recently my only ties to the royal family were those of affection, respect, and service. I come from another world, one with no ties to or even knowledge of this one, with different customs and languages. It is a world still in its youth, divided and struggling, yet with much promise. Coming here and seeing this ancient, flourishing society has given me hope that Earth will find its way, given time. I am proud to have helped give it that time, by playing a small role in preventing the destruction of the Realm. That was before I entered the service of Princess Maratobia and, through her, the people of Praxatillus.

"I must tell you that when I entered the Princess' service, I had no grasp of the wider implications. I simply saw a lost young girl, cruelly torn from her family, who needed my help. I lost my own parents at a young age, and perhaps that is why we were drawn to each other. But my choice to remain with her was a personal one, made for her as a person rather than as a member of the royal family. I have always viewed my service as a personal one, and I think I always shall. I certainly had no intention of entering public or political life. I am here before you tonight simply because Her Majesty convinced me that it was necessary, for her welfare as well as that of Praxatillus. I would not have chosen to be here, any more than you would have chosen me to be. But since I am, I promise you, I will strive to lead you as well as the Queen would.