Chapter 11.1

The next few days passed in a blur, a series of meetings, audiences, and Sabrina's first Petition Day. By prior arrangement, General Zhahghai and a group of fellow refugees from the moon, Darkene, presented a petition for Sabrina to approve their resettlement contract, enabling her to sign the document in public and make a short speech commending their courage and wishing them well. She didn't personally approve, but Rayland and Rassir had urged her to let the attempt be made, and from the applause of the audience she gathered that they had been right.

She was glad they had staged the first petition, because the ones that followed varied widely in their scope and possibility. Pleas for food and other necessities had to be answered, though she was not sure where they were going to be able to divert such supplies from; a few marriage petitions from the lesser nobility had to be referred to the royal genealogists; petitions for positions at court had to be referred to the Royal Chamberlain. Sabrina began to understand that Petition Day would be a penance, not a pleasure, for her. She was able to promise nothing for most petitioners, no matter how much she would have liked to. And the last scheduled petition was heart-wrenching: a plea from a father who wanted the Guardian to try to heal his son's terminal illness. Sabrina promised that everything she could do would be done, all the while knowing that Mara could not in good conscience risk herself and her planet, the entire Realm, for one person.

Sabrina looked around the room as the Royal Chamberlain stood to announce that Petition Day was at an end. She was weary and upset, nearly in tears, and wanted only to escape what she thought were reproachful looks from her subjects. She wished she hadn't been so adamant about not being spared anything when Rayland and Rassir recommended that the Royal Chamberlain choose who should be allowed to petition her. At least they could have arranged it so the last petition was one she could grant decisively.

Faline was about to speak when another petitioner came forward. She hesitated, then allowed him to approach the throne, evidently hoping his petition would be a better end to the day.

Sabrina was surprised to recognize the petitioner as Ryaen Blaisop, the Citizens Council representative from the Tree Cities. Her spirits rose a little as she hoped he would ask her for something she could give.

"My lady," he said, bowing, "on behalf of my fellow Tree Citizens, I petition for cuttings from your flowering plants, to be bred to grow in our soil and adorn our planet."

"I will gladly give you cuttings from all the roses I have," Sabrina replied instantly. "I would be happy to share them with all Praxatillus."

"Thank you, my lady," Ryaen said, bowing again. "We shall treasure them as a symbol of the life and beauty you have brought to us."

Sabrina felt a little better as he withdrew, and Faline formally closed Petition Day. With Darice right behind her, she left the room through a side door, closing it behind her with a sigh of relief. "Thank God that's over," she said.

"I thought you did very well," Darice offered.

"There's so much I can't do. Especially that little boy. I have to find some way to help him other than risking Mara."

"You will, my lady," Darice said loyally. "Come; you have a few minutes to rest before you must change for dinner."

____________

The dinner, a state occasion to honor the visit of Oria, Chief Councilor of Deltarr, turned out better than Sabrina expected. For one thing, Lady Ælieni of Lthos offered the medical services of a Lthosyenne Healer for the little boy whose father had petitioned Sabrina; she further offered to conduct the boy and his father to Lthos in her personal ship. Sabrina jumped at the chance to help the boy as well as get Lady Ælieni safely off Praxatillus, and she was in good spirits for the rest of the meal.