Chapter 6.4

Image: Miosch, by D. Denise Dianaty

After spending the entire day dealing with the Citizens Council, high-level conferences, and her own household problems, Sabrina felt that, by all rights, a simple family dinner ought to be relaxing, not more work. However, she knew the company would prevent it. She couldn't fool herself into believing that a rosebush could make Imari more than tolerant of her; Miosch was troubling, not in himself, but because of the expectations of everyone around them; and even Rayland was not relaxing company. Sabrina found herself always scrutinizing what she did and said in his presence, wishing not to embarrass him; she had to remember to be a prince's daughter, not just herself. And tonight she had to tell him that she intended to defy her traditional obligation to his family.

Deciding she'd better get it over with before the meal, she managed to arrive a few minutes early. Scotty was already lounging on a sofa in the sitting room. He felt no obligation to behave like a prince's son, Sabrina thought wryly; he could merely be a soldier, off duty at the moment. That role would carry him through any function on Praxatillus with little alteration.

That must be my problem, Sabrina mused. I'm trying to play too many roles, define myself differently to too many people.

"Hiya, sis. Where's your bodyguard?"

"Off duty. Even bodyguards get an evening off now and then," Sabrina said. "A nice palace guard dropped me off here and told me she'd be back when I was ready to leave. They seem to think I'll be safe in here with you and Rayland."

Scotty grinned. "And Miosch too. From what I hear, he was a wicked fighter during the war."

"Where's Rayland?" Sabrina asked, declining to rise to his bait.

"Leanin' over the chef's shoulder and making him nervous," Scotty chuckled. "He'll be back in a minute. Have a seat."

Sabrina stifled a sigh and shook her head. "I've been sitting all day," she said.

"Nervous?" he challenged.

"Yes. A bit. Oh, it's easy for you to sit there and smirk! No one is seriously suggesting that you marry Imari!"

Scotty shrugged, but didn't succeed in banishing his grin. Sabrina felt it was fortunate that Rayland chose that moment to enter the room.

"Ah, my dear, welcome," he greeted her, holding out his hands. She put hers in them and returned his kiss on the cheek, a little surprised as always at how easily the forms of their new relationship had come to her. She had been startled, and a little guilty, at how easy it was to call him "Father." "You are early; I hope that means your day went well?"

"Well enough," she said. "Father...I need to talk to you."

He raised an eyebrow at her, but only said, "Privately?"

"No, I don't mind Scotty," she answered. "It's about Miosch. Well, at least partly. The thing is...I don't feel it would be wise for me to marry, or even consider marriage, while I'm Regent."

"Understandable," he said. After a moment, he added, "And prudent. As well as diplomatic. Ah, Sabrina, you are right to put a halt to my foolish imaginings; I would not truly have you sacrificed to tradition, even to perpetuate my family. And I can see that Miosch is not the man for you, any more than you are the woman for him. I cannot pretend it is not a disappointment to me, but then, perhaps it would be a harsher disappointment if you were the sort of person to give in to pressure to do something against your own judgment." He smiled down at her. "Don't look so distressed, my dear. You are quite right; it would be impossible for you to marry while you are Regent. And afterwards...well, that is entirely up to you. I have a suspicion that you are not finished discovering what you can do on your own, and it is best to know that before linking your destiny with another's. And when you do, whether I am here to see it or not, I know that it will be a credit to me."