Chapter 26: The Twisted Way

It was late in the ship's night when Nllata looked up from the zero-gee vacuum glove box and announced that the matrix was finished. The Devons roused themselves from their uneasy sleep, and Sabrina opened the airlock Nllata had worked inside so that the crystal, and herself if necessary, could be jettisoned if the Pharon crystal caused any catastrophic effects.

"Now what?" Scotty asked. "We still don't know where Malvarak is."

"I'll use this to seek out the other Pharon crystal matrix," Nllata said. "I'm going to have to take it out of this box to use it. Get ready. I don't know how it will affect us. I don't think this piece was ever used in any Asiri death rites, but I can't be sure."

"So," Scotty said, shifting his weight uncertainly, "you'll just grab hold of it, and it'll tell you where Malvarak is, and then it'll take us there?"

"When he is, and take us then," Nllata corrected with a slightly weary grin. "It's only time travel, Scotty. I don't intend to move us spatially as well. A space-anchored Way will be easier for me to navigate than one that moves us in both space and time."

"And then you can use it to get us aboard Sribarak?" Sabrina asked.

"Yes. But put your EVA suits on first. I can't be sure my aim will be perfect. I've never done this."

"As long as you don't stick us in a bulkhead," Scotty muttered.

Nllata giggled, and the Devons gave her reproving looks. "Sorry. I was just picturing myself trying to explain that to Chief Councillor Oria."

"You'd be explainin' it to Mara, and it wouldn't be funny," Scotty told her, struggling into his EVA suit. "God, I hate these."

"You'd hate not being able to breathe even worse," Sabrina said. "Help me with these stupid gloves. How would you ever get into one of these if you were by yourself during a hull breach?"

"I guess you can do anything if you're panicked enough," Scotty replied.

Nllata stood waiting patiently while the siblings finished suiting up, to the accompaniment of various mutters. Finally they faced her, and she heard Scotty's muffled voice say, "Okay. We're ready. No, wait. Rina, where's your gun?"

"Scotty, I don't know why I have to drag that thing along! I'm not going to use it on Malvarak, and certainly not on Tirqwin! If you'd give me a stunner, that would be worth something!"

"And if we have to blast our way out of something, or take out part of the ship, a stunner won't do a damn bit of good," Scotty retorted. "Get that blaster, Rina, and that's an order!"

"And since when can you give me orders?"

"I'm captain of this ship!"

"But I'm in charge of the mission!"

"Then act like it and prepare for all contingencies! C'mon, Rina, if it'll make you feel better, it's perfectly possible to stop somebody with a blaster without killin' 'em."

"If you're a good shot. I'm not. Why can't I take both?"

"Because then you'll be fumbling around trying to remember which is which and you'll be dead before you figure it out. Rina, come on, I'm trained for this stuff, so trust me."

Sabrina sighed and picked up the blaster.

"Okay," Scotty said. "Now we're ready, Nllata."

Nllata closed her eyes, as if mentally preparing herself. Then she turned and unlatched the box. There was a slight breeze as air whooshed into it to fill the vacuum; then Nllata stood up, the crystal matrix glowing a gentle milky pink in her hands, reflected in her black eyes. Sabrina braced herself for a wave of evil thought, but she sensed nothing.