Chapter 12.1

Sabrina went back to her conservatory, intending to relax a little before deciding where to sleep that night. Darice prowled the conservatory apartments restlessly while Sabrina tried to interest herself in replanting another of the rosebushes. But she couldn't work up the energy to do so, and in the end, she just sat down beneath the Peace rose and let her mind wander.

Two years ago, she had been a reasonably carefree college student. Now she had a job running a planet technically at war; a brother who might be a secret assassin; a father who looked after her but, she suspected, would reluctantly sacrifice her for the sake of his planet if necessary; a whole bevy of young people asking her advice and approval of their love lives; and people in several solar systems watching her every move. And she had sent her closest friends away, out of necessity—Mara and Tirqwin for their safety and Haaron for all their sakes. Somehow, Scotty's return made her realize how very alone she was. And that was dangerous. How could someone in her position, with all the stress and strain that entailed, survive without a shoulder to lean on occasionally?

She thought fleetingly of her friends on Earth, especially her childhood friends Cynthia and Kath. She smiled a little as she pictured Cynthia telling her to stop worrying so much and get on with it, and Kath telling her what she really needed was a good party. Maybe that's it. I'll throw a party. I'll say it's for Scotty's homecoming, and that'll make Rayland happy and show everybody that I'm happy he's back. And by the time I get it planned, maybe the task force will be back with something else to party about, too. I'll talk to Sehaèri in the morning...oh, she's still not very happy with me. Well, maybe this will give her something to keep her occupied.

Sabrina let out a gusty sigh and leaned her head back, closing her eyes. She sat there in silence for a long time.

"Now there's a pretty composition," Tassan said, and she opened her eyes with a start to find him standing in front of her with a wry grin. "If I were painting it, I think I'd call it The Dream. Or, since it doesn't appear to have been very happy, The Awakening."

"How about Very Tired Woman Under a Rosebush?" Sabrina suggested. "I didn't hear you come up; I must have dozed off for a moment. I didn't think I was sleepy."

"I'm sorry to have disturbed you, but I was beginning to yield to the temptation to draw you, and I remember promising to ask permission first."

"No, please don't, not right now."

"No, now that you're awake, I can see you aren't in the mood for art. Conversation, perhaps? Or shall I go away and leave you to your dozing?"

"No," Sabrina said, a little sharply. She was aching to talk things over with someone, she realized. "No, please don't go. I'd like to talk, if you think you're up to listening to my troubles. Though why you should get stuck with a job like that is beyond me."

"Perhaps because that way, I get to look at the roses from your point of view?" he suggested with a smile, settling down on the floor beside her. "Talk away, my lady. My attention is riveted on your every word."

"My brother's back; did you know? No? I guess the rumor mill takes a little longer at night. General Zhahghai found him on Ariesafal."

"Ariesafal!" Tassan exclaimed. Then he laughed. "Well! I have missed an interesting trip, then."

"He did say you'd regret not going when you heard."

"I don't think my feelings are quite as extreme as regret. A mild curiosity, perhaps. But my lady, for someone who has had her brother miraculously restored to her, you don't look as ecstatic as one might expect."

"Is it miraculous? Or is it part of somebody's plan?" Her voice hardened. "Homeworld is out to get me any way they can. There's no secret about that. Rayland says they wouldn't use Scotty because he's so obvious, but...what if he's part of a worse plan? What if they use some other means to get rid of me, and then Mara and Tirqwin come back, and they use Scotty to get to them?"