Chapter 16: The Battle for Dansestari

Some twenty minutes later, Sabrina was dry and warm in one of Mireth's spare uniform blouses and trousers, and had borrowed boots from another officer's wardrobe. Her wet hair was pulled back in a ponytail with a bit of purple cloth she had torn from the remnants of her gown. Darice and Mireth were in clean, dry uniforms, and when they met Tassan in Control again, he had borrowed uniform trousers, boots, and shirt from somewhere. He and Sabrina, all in white with shiny black boots, stood out among the dark purple and blue uniforms in Control.

"What's going on?" Sabrina asked Rayland.

"Homeworld is proving a gallant defender," he said. "But the Reissian numbers are overwhelming them. Our shield has held so far, but we've lost several more buildings. I've pulled most of our troops below ground. A group of Reissians has broken off from the main fleet and skimmed our atmosphere; I think they are surveying possible landing sites."

"So it is going to be a ground battle."

"For us, yes. Our people in space are too heavily engaged to be pulled back to give us air support. I think that the spatial disruption is beginning; see how some of the rear of their fleet has broken formation. But I fear it will be too late to prevent the landing force. And what little of the shield we managed to get back in operation will not withstand their first assault on it."

"Then we'd better get ready," Sabrina said. "Is Tirqwin still in Giandrah?"

"No, Maratobia sent him back before she left."

"Good. Where do you need more troops?"

"I need as many as possible stationed near the entrances to the surface to pick off the landing troops as they emerge," Rayland said.

"Ah. Snipers," Tassan said. "Sir, I have experience with that; I'd like to go."

"Very well," Rayland said. "You may rejoin Lord Leran's company; he is in the lower levels of the Royal Residence."

"Thank you, sir," Tassan replied. He saluted Rayland, then turned to Sabrina and saluted again. "My lady."

"Be careful," Sabrina said. She really wanted to tell him not to go, but she knew she must not. She returned his salute, and he grinned somberly at her and hurried out.

"Now," Sabrina said, turning back to Rayland, "where can I do the most good?"

"Right here," Rayland said sternly.

"Hardly," Sabrina said. "You've got ten times my experience; you have to be in command no matter where I am. I've got some training, and there's no reason to keep me dangling uselessly at your elbow. I won't insist on being on the front lines, but at least let me go rally the troops or something."

"Sabrina," Rayland said, "if something happens to you, who is going to carry through your agreement with the High Tirqwin? Who will make sure the fine beginning you've made with this defensive alliance isn't thrown away? You are valuable to us only if you live. We need no more martyrs; we have plenty."

Sabrina stifled a sigh. It was all too true. "Well then, let me go down to Giandrah. That's the last ditch, isn't it? If they get that far then you don't need me, because there won't be anything left."

"True," Rayland said. "All right. Join the defenders around Giandrah. When the Reissians land, we intend to shut down the shield; it won't hold against them anyway. We will reactivate it below ground above Giandrah only. We are not sure it will work, but it is all I can promise."

"Right," Sabrina said. "Darice, Mireth, there's no point in keeping you two out of the action if I'm going to be in the safest possible place. If you want to go, then go."