Chapter 3.2

Rayland stepped forward and took Sabrina's arm. "My dear, I advise you to dismiss the assembly and retire to Defense Control."

She nodded and spoke to the anxious crowd. "Thank you all for coming. Please return to your duties."

There was an immediate, mostly orderly, movement toward the exits. Sabrina said, "What's happening?"

Scotty was listening to his comlink. "Shipyard Three is destroyed," he said, gulping.

"Destroyed! Khediva?" Sabrina cried, blanching.

"I don't know. There doesn't seem to be a lot left. C'mon, let's go!" He didn't bother to wait longer, running forward with his long strides toward the doors.

Sabrina, conscious that her new position would prevent her being part of any rescue operation, made an effort to slow her pace to match Rayland's, but it was difficult. She had assumed that Mara and Tirqwin had gone to help Khediva, but what if Khediva had been destroyed and Mara and Tirqwin snatched by the Wayfarers, instead of moved by Mara?

"Do not speculate," Rayland told her softly as they hurried along. "It does no good and may interfere with your understanding of the facts when they are presented to you."

"Sir," someone said nearby, and Sabrina turned to see Miosch at Rayland's other side, "allow me to help you so that the Lady Regent can go ahead of us."

"Thank you," Rayland said. "Sabrina, he is right. You are needed in Control. And," he added, with a grim smile, "I think, just this once, it would not damage the dignity of the crown for you to run."

Sabrina picked up her skirts and sprinted for the exit, the crowd parting for her automatically. As she tore down the corridor, she was aware of someone at her elbow and recognized the guard normally assigned as Mara's bodyguard. Mine now, she thought distractedly, with a flash of irritation and relief. Now if only she could remember the woman's name.

They reached Control just as Sabrina thought her lungs would burst with the exertion. As they entered, they could hear Mukryilla giving orders in a calm but sharp tone; there was no sign of Scotty.

"Shall I get you a report, ma'am?" the bodyguard asked.

"Yes, please, Major, um..."

"Darice." She saluted and hurried off.

Landra Darice. The name came to Sabrina suddenly as she looked around, trying not to look too lost. The bodyguard had been a background fixture of Mara's life, and therefore of Sabrina's, since their return to Praxatillus, even though it was unlikely the Guardian would need such intervention as a soldier could provide. But Sabrina's life might depend on it. She hoped desperately that Mara's bodyguard had not been assigned the post as a decorative ceremonial guard.

"My lady?" said a voice at her elbow.

"Yes?" She looked down to see a young page, wearing the livery of the Council of Trême.

"Lady Imari says that she has received a report from the Conservator of the Chamber. It is their belief that the Guardian moved of her own will and is continuing to do so."

Sabrina thought that if Imari had been there, she would have hugged her. "Thank you," she said quietly, when she had her voice under control. "I was fearing the worst. Thank Lady Imari for informing me, and ask her to notify me if there is any change in the Guardian's status."

"Yes, my lady." The page bowed and hurried out.

Well, I never thought Imari would be so courteous to me, Sabrina thought, then realized that, no matter what her personal feelings, Imari would never be guilty of omitting the least courtesy to her sovereign's representative. I just wish that told me whether Khediva was alive or not. Though if Khediva were dead, Tirqwin would be either half insane or unconscious, so it's not likely Mara would be in good shape.