Chapter 22.1

Image by D. Denise Dianaty

Sabrina tried to behave normally for the rest of the day, telling herself it could be days, even weeks, before the summons came for the meeting. She'd sent Haaron an encrypted message that said, "The answer is yes. Issue the invitations for a surprise party." She knew he would understand, but she couldn't guess how long it would be before Tirqwin, Mara, and Khediva contacted him. Her hands shook when she thought of meeting Mara again with this dreadful suspense hanging over them both, and yet she wanted the suspense to be over with for her own sake.

She knew she shouldn't waste her time worrying about things she couldn't affect, so she kept herself busy. She even went down to see the first ship leave for the Moon Colonies, General Zhahghai beaming proudly as he led the group of surveyors, engineers, and agriculturalists aboard. The Telurians were busy setting up an embassy and warehousing facilities in the province of Bathir, with Joara's help; their first merchant ship was due to arrive within the week. There had been another trading party originally scheduled, but they had indefinitely postponed their visit after the Reissian attack. Sabrina hoped they could be persuaded to come once the state of war with Homeworld was officially over.

She visited the infirmary wards, much emptier than the last time she had walked through, and asked Mukryilla to lift the restriction on Dansestari so that the people of Palace City could return home. Mukryilla agreed, saying that the chances of a full-scale attack were, for the moment, minimal. Lady Aliza and Princess Reauwina were some of the first people to return to Dansestari, barely an hour after the restriction was lifted.

"I'm so glad to see you both," Sabrina said. "Poor Rndara's exhausted; I know she'll be glad too."

"Thank you," Reauwina smiled. "I'll just go unpack. I found some things you might like while I was at home."

Sabrina smiled after her, then turned to Aliza. "And how are you, Aliza?" she asked gently.

"I will grieve a long time," Aliza sighed. "But...there is one source of consolation. Though we were only together a short time, at least I'll have something left of him." She smiled shyly.

"Aliza! You're pregnant? Congratulations!" Sabrina hugged her. "Oh, you should be at home, not here! You must be very careful!"

"Yes, I know. It's why I didn't try harder to come before. But surely it's safe now, if the Commander has lifted the restriction?"

Sabrina grimaced. "Just don't stand too close to me."

"My lady?"

"There are still Reissians out there trying to kill me," Sabrina said. "We try to keep it quiet, but...I meant it when I said not to stand too close to me. And you're not to sleep here under any circumstances. At least not until the Queen comes back. We expect her any day now; she's going to come take over while I go off-planet for a little bit. That's pretty secret too."

"You can trust me," Aliza said, looking worried. "I would like to continue to serve, but—perhaps I should go home until the baby is born, if it is really dangerous?"

"I'll miss you, but yes," Sabrina said.

"I'd like to visit Sehaèri before I go. Is she still in the infirmary?"

"No, as soon as she was fit to be moved, we sent her home to a hospital in Pendarazloch. Miosch went with her." Sabrina frowned. "I'd like to see her before I go too, but I won't be able to. Will you give her my best wishes?"

"Certainly. Oh, my lady, be careful. I want you to come and see my baby when it's born."

"I will, if I can. I hope all this will be over by then. Take good care of yourself, Aliza. If you need anything, contact me, and I'll see you get it."