Chapter 23.1

The next morning they had a little leisure, since there was a rare window in Sabrina's schedule before her lunch with the royal wards. She took advantage of it to go and see Tassan's painting of her, which he had finished the previous day. Sabrina was pleased with the portrait, though she thought it flattered her a little too much, and she invited Scotty, Justek, and Reauwina to look at it once it had been carried down to her sitting room.

"Well," Scotty said, "it's sure more like you than the official one."

Sabrina grimaced, remembering the pompous ceremony in which she had accepted the court painter's portrait and hung it next to King Baldaran's. She only hoped someday soon it would be taken down and replaced with one of Mara.

Tassan said, "The court painter has a great deal of technical skill, but she unfortunately did not have the advantage of spending much time with her subject. It makes a difference."

"I think it's lovely," Reauwina said, "and I only wish, my lady, that you could smile like that more often."

Scotty chuckled. "No you don't. That's her mischief-making grin, as Aunt Euphrasia calls it. We all used to run for cover when she looked like that."

Tassan smiled. "I can only imagine."

Sabrina shook her head. "What I want to know is, when did that wonderful sense of self-preservation desert you?"

Scotty laughed. "It hasn't. I just figure it's safer to take on Reissians than you in a bad mood."

The members of Sabrina's household exchanged discreetly sympathetic looks. Sabrina folded her arms. "If you had this job, you'd get grumpy too once in a while."

Scotty's grin grew. "Oh, I dunno. Mara doesn't."

"Scott Hamilton Devon!" Sabrina exclaimed indignantly. "How can you say that?"

"My sense of self-preservation," he laughed, nodding at the door. Everyone turned to see Mara standing uncertainly on the threshold.

"Mara!" Sabrina cried, stepping forward with her arms extended. After a few steps, however, she noted Mara's lack of reaction and stopped, sinking into a curtsy as everyone else made obeisance. When she rose, she realized the others were waiting for her to speak, and she said formally, "Your Majesty, welcome home."

One corner of Mara's mouth twitched in a half-grin, just for an instant, almost more like a tic than an expression. "Thank you. I have to admit, I wish it were under different circumstances."

She hates this plan, Sabrina realized with a sinking heart.

Mara walked forward, peering at the portrait as Tassan and Justek stepped aside. "It's very good. I like it."

Scotty, having glanced from his sister to the queen and back again, said,"Yeah, it's perfect. Now you'll have something to throw things at while she's gone."

Mara did almost smile then, glancing appreciatively at Scotty, and then at Tassan. "No, I would not so insult the artist. Secretary Sansfir, Princess Reauwina, I am delighted to see you again, and we will be seeing a great deal of each other in the days to come, but for now, please excuse us."

They left quietly, closing the door behind them, and Mara turned back to Tassan. "Citizen Nikolar, I understand that, notwithstanding your important work with the Telurian trade delegation, you have volunteered to accompany Lady Sabrina on her journey. I am curious as to why."

"Because as I have gotten to know her, I have developed great respect for her, and because, as an artist, I prefer symmetry. Having been there when Lady Sabrina first proposed this meeting, I would like to see it through to its conclusion."