Chapter 4.2

It was a week before Sabrina had gathered enough information to sketch a vague outline of her plans for Praxatillus' recovery. By that time, the Citizens Council was becoming a reality, all the provinces and principalities having agreed to send a representative of their populations. Sabrina had also collected a few daring economic proposals from various governors and officials, enough to give her confidence that, if she could unite the people behind her, she would have imagination and inventiveness to draw upon.

She was also beginning to realize that most of the Ministers expected the Regency to be an unmitigated disaster and were warily surprised by her cautious approach, though by no means convinced that she was qualified to lead them. There were real, desperate problems to face, enough to make her despair in the dark of a lonely night, but Rayland's expression of confidence had pointed her in the direction she knew she must go. She didn't have Mara's charisma, but she must try to gain the Praxatillians' faith. She must show them that she intended to be part of an effort in which they all shared, not a unilateral force.

The royal household was chaotic, with Lady Aliza trying desperately to keep it in order with no training and little help. Selémahs was busy with Realm affairs, working with the Council of Trême to handle the diplomatic aspects of Mara's position as Guardian. Sabrina hadn't seen Scotty for days; he'd said something about helping root out Homeworld's intelligence network on Praxatillus, and she could only hope that Rayland and Mukryilla were keeping an eye on him. Haaron proved indefatigable in negotiating with the various provinces and making arrangements for the Citizens Council's inaugural gathering, while Éllina took the royal wards in hand.

Therenden, busily dividing his time between his positions as Deputy Minister of Justice and as a member of the Miahn Council of Shardon, managed to spirit Sabrina off to lunch at the end of the first week of the Regency. He advised her as to the proper method of calling a joint session of the Council of Ministers and Council of Governors, but was puzzled as to why she wanted to.

"I'm going to give a speech," she said. "I think it's time, don't you? Most of the public hasn't heard me say a word. They must be wondering."

"Do you intend this to be broadcast, then?"

"Yes, planetwide." She grimaced. "I hate making speeches. And I'm sure the prospect of millions of people listening to every word I say will make me sick with stage fright. But I need to reach them, to reassure them. I can't achieve anything until I tell them what I want to do. Rayland made me see that." She paused. "I thought I would be able to be Regent from a closed office, just buried in paperwork and meetings. But it's not so. I'm responsible to all the people, not just the ones here in Dansestari. And, if I can get some popular support, maybe that will see me through when I run into hostility here. At least I'll know where I stand. It'll give me perspective."

"An excellent idea. And you intend to endure all the protocol of this occasion?"

"Yes. Tradition is important. I don't want to be seen as an outsider. I want them to know that I respect Praxatillus and its ways." She sighed. "Rayland said I had to find a way to make myself believe in myself as Regent before I could make other people believe in me. I think I've found what I needed to believe in myself. I may not be the most qualified person for the job, but I know that nobody could care more than I do about doing it well, and I know I'll try my best. As long as I define it that way, I can believe in myself doing the job. Now I have to convince everybody else. Even if it means wearing a tiara."

Therenden smiled. "I look forward to hearing your speech, Lady Sabrina. I can tell it will be something quite extraordinary."

"Everything is extraordinary right now. This whole Regency is extraordinary. I mean for this speech to be its real beginning. This past week I've just been trying to get my bearings. I haven't finished the crash course; all I've really done, I think, is get the syllabus down. But I think that's enough to tell me generally what needs to be done. If we can all agree on that, it'll be a first step. The particulars—well, that'll be where all the paperwork and meetings come in."