Chapter 8: Waiting for the Blow

The next morning, Sabrina woke to find that her household was well informed of the night's events, as well as most of the palace and beyond. Therenden called as she was breakfasting to inquire after her; Haaron arrived just as Justek and Sehaèri were organizing her day.

"How are they all?" he asked as she invited him to sit down with her.

"Fine. A little shaken, but I think they'll be okay," Sabrina said. "How's Éllina?"

"She's well. I think she is in Trostal today." He smiled. "It's as well that I work long hours, or I would miss her more than I do."

"I'm sorry. When I offered her that job I didn't mean for it to take up so much of her time," Sabrina said.

"She is enjoying it," Haaron assured her. "And I do not begrudge her the chance to travel and meet people and be of service. We have the rest of our lives to be home together. What I came to tell you was, I have made inquiries about the painting you wanted. Citizen Nikolar still owns it and may be willing to sell, but the price he is asking is frankly outrageous."

"I can't afford it?" Sabrina asked.

Haaron exchanged glances with Justek, who shook his head. Sabrina sighed, "I don't suppose I can raise the money either, can I? I mean my personal funds; it would be criminal to spend Treasury money on art right now."

"Your personal funds are next to nothing, I'm afraid," Justek said, "since you donated your salary to the wedding expenses."

"You did what?" Haaron exclaimed.

"A bunch of us did," Sabrina said.

"However," Justek said, "I am sure the Regent could obtain a loan from any number of offworld banks."

"What would I use as collateral?" Sabrina wondered.

Haaron was frowning. "I did not pressure Citizen Nikolar to consider your rank and the privilege it would be to have his work known to be in your possession, because I felt sure you would not wish me to, but I wish you would give me permission to do so. I can't be comfortable with the idea of your going into debt for a painting that any other artist would have been flattered to donate to you!"

"No," Sabrina said. "He deserves to make a living from his art. I'll find the money. Leave it alone for now while I think about how."

"My lady," Justek said, "I'm sorry to interrupt, but if you don't leave now you'll be late for the meeting with the Governor of Taeir."

Sabrina sighed. "All right, I'm going. I'll see you later, Haaron. And thanks for trying!" She waved at him as she hurried out, and he looked after her with an expression that modulated from exasperation to determination.

__________

The morning went by almost too quickly for Sabrina to grasp; before she knew it, she was changing to a less official dress for a luncheon with the royal wards. As Izana was laboring to coax her fine, straight hair into shiny curls, Scotty strode in, looking stormy. "Rina, I heard you went to Khediva last night, that they ran into Malvarak and got into trouble!"

"Yes, but it's all right now," Sabrina replied.

"It's not all right!" he retorted. "It means they aren't any safer out there than they would be here!"

"It doesn't mean that. Here they're sitting ducks for Homeworld. Out there they've at least got a fighting chance. Or a running chance, rather."

"This is not a joke."

"I never said it was."

"Rina," Scotty said, slamming his palms down on her dressing table, "you gotta let me go out there with them. They need somebody to watch out for them. You know they do!"