21

Gavin POV

"Are you fucking crazy?" Michael stuttered.

I shook my head,"Look at them." I pointed toward the rest of the flock, with the exception of Ray who was being supported,"They did it. And now it's your turn."

Michael shook his head and stepped away from the shattered window,"NOPE."

"Michael." I said putting a hand on his shoulder,"Let's not forget what happened last time you refused to associate with flying." I referred to when I shoved him.

"I don't care." He replied, taking another step away from the window.

Behind us, everything was getting louder. The people, the yelling, the monsters, and the growling. They were getting closer and Michael was refusing to leave this place.

"Michael, like you said earlier, you weren't leaving me. And now I'm not leaving you." I paused to make sure he was listening,"But neither of us will make it out alive if we don't go now. Trust me."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean." I motioned toward the group of four that were stationary above ground outside,"I know what's going to happen if we don't leave. Now."

I stopped myself around the word happen before my brain kept making me talk. I may have said too much this time. Michael looked puzzled as if he were in a different universe.

"We need to go now." I said yanking his wrist and pulling him with me only to have him yank it back.

"Gavin what do you mean you know?"

I sighed and groaned,"Michael we don't have time for this right now. Let's go-"

"Gavin. What are you not telling me?"

I didn't want to spill it. Not right now, now wasn't the time to tell him about my past reference with this place. It just wasn't the time.

But I had to tell him eventually.

"Michael." I let my hand fall to my thigh as I looked away,"Im not who you think I am. Well I'm not who you thought I was." I emphasized the word was.

He crossed his arms all the while we were being hunted down.

"When you first met me, I did just come to Austin like I said I did. But the thing is, I didn't exactly know where I was."

His eyes fell with sympathy and he continued to listen, both anger and sadness we're going through his eyes and I could see it. I could see it all. And it only made it harder to talk.

"I've been here before. This is where I grew up, where I was-born. And those wings on your back.. I've had those. All my life."

His lower jaw opened slightly in despair and then quickly closed again, waiting for me to speak.

"And I don't know what's going on. I just know, we need to get out of here before they take us back. They do pointless experiments that have no purpose." I looked at his hands which were beat up. "I know because they did them to me."

His eyes said he wanted to be sorry, his heart did too. But anger and vanish flushed over him,"You knew about this place and you just lead them to us!" He shouted,"You lead them to Ryan, Geoff, everyone! What about Ray!" He pointed outside to the boy who was receiving help. "You lead them to him! And now he's blind! For life!"

I cringed at the word blind and looked down at the floor.

"And what about me!" He finished,"I thought you cared about me enough not to lead me into a death facility!" His wings twitched, his wings matching mine,"And I don't care what you say. We're all freaks now. For my sake, for Ray, for everyone, I'm going home. I hate you." His words stung me like a bee, the way he huffed and the way he talked. It seemed to slow down everything and I could only hear his words repeat in my head.