4

Gavin POV

Immediately my instincts kicked in and I began screaming.

My voice, thick and rasping, filling the air and I could hear Dan number 2 laughing uncontrollably with his "friends".

My idiot move was going to kill me.

I can't believe it. I could have given up and gone back to the facility. But no.

I looked down at the the ground beneath me as it slowly became bigger.

"He's dead there's nothing to worry about." Dan said from the cliff.

I stopped screaming as I turned my body to face the crew, my back now toward the ground.

Which was stupid. I had wings. I'm an idiot. But it doesn't hurt to use them.

In one swift movement I flexed out the pair beneath me and then I stopped falling.

"Woah.." I mumbled looking to my left and then right.

I have never actually seen my full wingspan and- I just. It's unbelievable.

My wingspan, big enough to stop my from falling. It was breath taking.

The feeling of being weightless. It was amazing.

I looked down at my feet, now hovering a few feet off the ground before I slowly stepped foot into the dirt.

But this time, it was soft. Softer than running in the woods.

It was a grass valley beneath the cliff.

I slowly turned toward the rocky wall behind me and could tell Dan was waiting to hear a splat.

But he wasn't going to hear one.

"Now you could run away and never come back. Or you could fly up there and taunt them with the possibility of getting shot." I told myself.

"Eh hell with it."

Getting a running start, I pounced into the air and in one swift movement I was hovering above the ground on my way up

"Hey- Uh." I tried to think of something to call the group but I couldn't think of anything on the fly.

Get it? On the fly? I'm flying...

As I peeked over the cliff, Dan had already started walking away with his buddies so I guess I need to get his attention?

"Hey bucket head!" I yelled throwing a pebble in his direction.

Clear as day hitting him on the top of his head I could hear him grunt and mumble something.

"Please don't tell me that kid. Is behind me."

He turned to face me, his body covered in dirt from our brawl.

"You don't know when to give up do ya kid?"

I smiled,"No not really if you can't already tell."

"You're just a mutant freak 10027."

At his words he pulled out a small pistol and shot in my direction.

I dodged of course, I was beginning to get this whole flying in the open thing down.

He grunted some more before shooting another three shots my way, still missing.

"I may be a mutant freak but I'm a free mutant freak. And as long as I'm free, I'm going to expose your little project."

He laughed and raised his hands to the surroundings behind him and the creatures beside him,"I wouldn't really call it a small project." he finished with a chuckle.

"whatever the case, I hope it gets shut down."

Dan laughed again before trying to shoot once more,"I wouldn't count on that bird boy."

"Which is why you can't make a quality shot."

Which was completely a lie. I'm sure he would totally make a quality good shot. But that was only if I wasn't hovering.

When flying I guess I have more agility, I guess the lab coats were right.

He shot once more before I turned to face the sunrise over the horizon in the distance,"This won't be the last time I see you."

I hesitated before boosting myself up into the air and above a thin layer of clouds.

And then I experienced the feeling of weightlessness. And I have to admit it's the best feeling in the world.

The feeling of absolutely world domination. The feeling that I know no one can stop me right now.

Right now I was on my own. I was free.

I was finally experiencing what it felt like to be free.

I boosted myself even more, using all of my energy to coast at least over 200 miles per hour.

I've never flown this fast in the lab.

Heck I've never flown by myself other than when I jumped off that cliff.

I shot myself as far away from the lab as fast as I could until flying was basically instinct.

Until 200mph was instinct.

I slowed to a halt as I looked back at the very small outline of the lab.

It was technically gone.

I turned, my back now toward the ground, and lightly coasted in a slight slip stream into the middle of no where.

But I can't argue because originally I was in the middle of no where.

It all seemed right. All of it. The way the wind pushed up in my wings, everything.

I don't care where I'm going or what I plan to do. All I know is that it didn't matter.

Yes I will have to come back but that's not for a while.

I can finally explore things outside the small lab. I can finally do stuff on my own.

I don't care what Dan #1 said about it being dangerous. It seems fine to me.

Open land, open air. It was nice, it wasn't fatal.

"Why are you saying Dan number one and Dan number two?"

I bet Dan #2 isn't name Dan. He can't have a name. He's another mistake like me. And I don't have a name.

I'm "10027".

I smiled to myself before turning back over to look at the ground.

And I couldn't believe my eyes.

In the distance there were lights. Something glowing over the horizon. Something other than the sun.

The sky was now a shade of blue and I picked up speed before landing in the nearby valley.

"Huh.." I mumbled,"How long was I flying?"

My thoughts couldn't have carried by that far. Could they?

I tucked the pair of brown wings behind my back before looking down at my messed up clothes.

I can't go into a town like this?