8. Traders of Love

Always aim for the moon.
Even if you miss it, you will land among the stars.
~Arab proverb

Uday gave me a casserole sent by his mother. I opened it and the aroma filled the room. I sniffed it and wanted to dig in immediately.

"Mom is so happy you accepted my proposal. This is to celebrate our new relationship." Uday sounded so happy with a simple acceptance.

"What choice did I have? I was hoping for something else and you just... just broke my heart by asking me to be your sister? Didn't you ever feel anything 'attractive' about me Uday? Was I never that 'girl next door' you dreamt of?" I dramatised the hurt. Just a few hours of conversation were enough to understand Pri. The girl wanted to be in a romantic relationship but sadly never got a real proposal. Guess, people in Mussoorie were blind to her beauty.
Yes, we looked alike but she had an innocence, honesty and childlike aura around her.

"Pri, I... I... never knew... Last night you accepted without any... you never said anything." Uday looked stupefied. He was a good guy. He didn't want to hurt Pri.

"You expect a girl to confess? I thought the shine of my eyes on seeing you were a hint enough." I was so loving the game. I never had a sibling and this boy was damn cute.

He took me to the sofa and looked left-right. I was curious. Was he changing his decision? Haha! Game-on.

"Pri, I am sorry I could never understand. I told you I always saw you as my sister. I... can't think of any girl in a 'romantic' light. I am... GAY. You are the only second person to know this. I haven't told my parents about it. Though they are the most understanding set of parents but this is a big deal. My mother wants a daughter-in-law like you, not a son-in-law like..."

"Hi, nincompoop. What brings you here?" Pri's granny questioned opening the lid of the casserole.

"Hi, granny. Mom sent her special Rajma for her dear daughter." Uday answered in nervousness. Granny could be intimidating.
"I'll come later. Bye." Uday left pressing my shoulder lightly requesting me to keep his secret. His eyes pleaded me to not say anything.
I won't.
Never.

It was like a repeat telecast for me.

**********************************************************************************************************************

"Good job Chaya." My new father praised my efforts with the prince.

"He kissed me! We are not even engaged and I didn't even permit him." I was furious.

"Watch your tone, young lady. It was just a peck. I thought you very well understood the difference. Now, this alliance is very important for us. The prince has offered an amalgamation of our companies as a gift of this marriage. Our finances are not like before. With the new and changed guidelines of the government, the survival of three of our units is tough. It will be a big blow to us but the kind and the generous Prince has offered help.
He really seems to like you and therefore helping us knowing very well it may not be profitable for him." My new mother enlightened me with the entire scheme of 'marriage'.

"Am I am item for sale that you are trading me off in exchange for your company?" I was hurt even though I had nothing to do with the arrangement. But, this was extremely selfish.

"You left us with no choice. The one you chose to marry is forbidden on royal and moral grounds. The Prince fits the checklist perfectly. He has agreed to marry you along with all the help he is offering." My new father walked to me and held my forearms very tightly. He looked into my eyes and whisper shouted, "I AM WARNING YOU CHAYA, if this alliance under any circumstances breaks or the Prince has any complaints from you, that will be the last day your LOVE stays alive. So, if you want the life for your LOVE, trade it with your LIFE. I am sure you can do that much."