24. Celebration

'SWITCH' was the best thing that happened to me.

Chaya- Playing Pratima

I have never celebrated my birthday mid-night. It was against royal norms. Eight hours of beauty sleep was an unbreakable rule. Except for Ragini's call I have never been wished at twelve. Today, Pri's friends travelled from Mussoorie to her motel to wish her. She said she didn't have many friends but still, they took efforts to make her happy.

Granny and Uday were the planners. It was her twenty-first and it should be special.
I remembered my twenty-first birthday last year was big news. A huge party was thrown and dignatries, royals and big shots travelled from all over India to the party. It was mostly to check me as a prospective 'bride'. I felt as if it was my 'swayamvar' and not a birthday party.

This mid-night party was simple. Just a few streamers and balloons in a room. A decent cake which I guess Pri's friend Misha who she said belonged to a well-off family brought. The gifts were so beautiful. Handmade cards, boxes and letters. This was a treasure. Granny gave me her ring. The same ring Grandfather proposed her with.

When I refused to take her wealth from her she replied, "Pri, you are such a dramatic ass. You have such a sad single life, this ring will bring you good luck. Your drought shall receive water soon."

What the Fuck!

Did she actually say that? I was embarrassed and Pri's friends were rolling on the floor laughing. I wore the ring and flaunted it.

Nani seemed suddenly so nice to me. She made me wear a tiara and with tears in her eyes said, "You are my princess."

Touche'

At around 2 in the night, all friends decided to crash in a motel room. My first fun night out with friends. It was so much fun.

Misha had a crush on Uday. Poor girl didn't know he was Gay. Disha was a sweet, simple girl just like Pri. This flamboyant boy Vivasvan, Viv for short, was not even Pri's friend but still at the party. I didn't mind though. More the merrier.

Pri's parents lent the boys a separate room. I hoped they don't charge in the morning. I was dancing with happiness. This was the best impromptu party ever.
Huhhh!
I LOVE YOU LIFE!
It was not over yet.

Pri's friends stayed over and we had a scrumptious breakfast cooked by Pri's mother. She was hands down a gourmet chef. She was the queen of the kitchen. I didn't like her particularly but she worked hard and it was undeniable.

I gave a tour to my friends at the construction site of the hotel and explained to them about my plans and progress. It made me thrilled with happiness.

I wished Pri all the best for the engagement. She was nervous/anxious/ scared/ apprehensive. I gave her the required confidence and ordered Ragini to stick by her side in case of any goof up. It was almost night and Pri's friends had decorated the small garden in the motel for her birthday.

What do I wear? I had nothing. I was very choosy about my clothes and just for fun wore Pri's tasteless clothes. This was a party what do I do? Even Misha had a sober dress. Uday looked wow!

Pri's mother secretly entered my room and gave me a packet. "Wear this. We don't want you to taunt us for not getting you a birthday dress." Her mother was lying. It was a planned gift but she feared someone, Nani?
You bet!
That bitch!

I wore the dress and it wasn't branded but I guess local markets have good stuff too. It suited me so well.