30. Additions and Deductions

Pratima- Playing Chaya

"If true love had a face it was the shine on Praneet's face and shyness in Chaya's demeanour." The comment from Praneet's mother made us conscious. Praneet was looking at me with so many new emotions making me feel overwhelmed.

"Our princess is a little stubborn but very mature at the same time. Her mother has raised her quite well." Chaya's father put an arm around her mother and complimented her upbringing. She beamed with happiness and her smile was genuine and not measured like all other times.

What kind of love was this? Even when the person hurt you, your love stayed intact? Was it love or madness?

My new mother kissed my forehead and said, "I know you will not let us down. This is your home now, decorate it with love and pride. Praneet, she is our princess, treat her like your queen." 

Can a fake hug earn you so much love? My new mother seemed like a changed woman.

Praneet wrapped his arm around my shoulder and assured her.
His grandfather was observing us intently. I think he figured that this was not true. But, why should it matter to him? He wanted money and he got it. What relation Praneet and I share, shouldn't matter to him. Everything looked like a conspiracy theory I couldn't crack.

My new parents left with a happy face.

Praneet took me to an isolated corner and touched my face. Was he going to kiss me?
He moved the pad of his thumb on my cheeks then suddenly engulfed me in a bear hug.
Aren't bears the best cuddlers?
Am I good at snuggling? I wanted to wrap my hands around him but before I could, his hot breath touched my body making me tremble.

"I am so happy you understood everything Chaya. I know it must have been difficult for you to accept that this is how it was supposed to be. Good to see you react this way."

We were glued to each other and as much as I was loving the feeling, I knew it was incorrect.

I pushed Praneet a little behind startling him. "My mother threatened me that she will cut her jugular vein if, I don't prove the acceptance of this marriage. I didn't have a choice. I never have. So, do not get any wrong ideas. I still think you are selfish and ravenous. As many explanations you give will be insufficient to prove you are not guilty." I could not stand there any longer and turned around to leave.

Praneet caught my hand and asked me, "Are you sure? The hug felt real and not forced."

"It was real, you moron." I wanted to shout and hug him again. But instead, I replied to him in the words he told me earlier, "Well, I am a brilliant actor just like my father, remember?" He immediately left my hand and I walked away.

I came back to my room and called up Chaya. I had to tell her about her mother. She picked up in her happiest tone and it somewhat lifted my mood too. Somewhere attaching my life with her, attached me emotionally with her too.

I asked her the reason for her pumped up spirits but she sensed my sore mood so, I had to tell her all about her mother.
It broke her heart and I knew she was crying. Thankfully, Ragini was there to support her.

"Pri, I am so sorry you have to go through all this." Chaya spoke with a choked throat.

"Chaya, I can only imagine this will be your life as long as you live. So, enjoy these twenty- twenty-five odd days left. Run the hotel as you please because once you are back you shall be caged." I wanted her to make the most of her time or I wanted more time here, I could not figure out.

"I might be a real princess Pratima, but you are a born princess. You have no idea what you have given me. I am indebted to you for life." Chaya's words made me emotional.