Cracking On

Flo made her way to the aid station, not even flinching at the in Coming mortars, suddenly she felt a hand on her shoulder, fear passed through Flo as she stamped on the man's toe and elbowed him in the stomach as she turned to face him with her fists up.

When she saw it was Lieutenant Jones her eyes widened and she stood to attention "Sir, I'm so sorry, I thought... I thought...."

He waved her off while clutching his stomach "No need, I should have announced myself to you, I understand it must be nerve wracking being the only female in a place full of men" he said nodding at her as Flo relaxed "Yes sir, I've had to defend myself a couple of times.... Now what was it you wanted?"

"I'm sorry to ask this" he said looking bashful "But I've heard from Webster that the commanders listen to you and well I wanna be on the patrol, I understand I'm not ready to lead but maybe as a second?"

Flo tilted her sighed and looked at him as if sizing him up, she sighed "Sir, with all due respect I don't know, I'm not a commander if it were up to me I'd put you in for Malar... Sorry Sergeant Malarky but it's up to Lieutenant Winters and Captain Speirs and I trust them fully" she said before saluting and going to the med station.

"Hey Flo, just put those boxes there for me, thanks" Gene said with a smoke sticking out his mouth making Flo roll her eyes "Hey I thought I told you, those things will kill you" she said taking it out of his mouth after she'd put the box down on the rickity table.

Gene rolled his eyes "I've told you don't do that Flo, it means I have to waste another one" he said going for his packet "And I told you, if you're gonna smoke you can do it where I can't see you, I've tried with the other men but I thought Luz was actually going to attack me so I can't do anything with them, but you should know better you're a medic"

Gene shrugged and rolled his eyes "There's been no actual proof i trust you know, it was the Germans who showed that correlation to cancer in the 20s, no country I trust has showed smoking is bad"

Flo just rolled her eyes "Maldito idiota", while Gene turned back to her "Okay Flo I might not speak as many languages as you but I know enough to know what idiota means" he huffed making Flo burst out into giggles.

His face softened as he reached into his satchel and pulled out a shot of penicillin "I've saved this for you, Flo. You need it, what was your latest temp?" he queried the young medic as she rolled her eyes and sighed "Around 100° I can't remember exactly, I was preoccupied when I took it, have you got another shot for Lip?" she asked as Gene silently asked her to roll up her sleeve, which Flo eventually did after getting the nod from Gene that he had another shot for Lip.

"Of course I do Fizz, what kind of medic do you think I am?" he asked with his teasing tone she had gotten so used to "I think you're my favourite doc in the whole world and I'm gonna ensure they know it" she smiled tiredly at him as he gave her the shot and held her hand as she squeezed.

She gave a heavy sigh and released his hand "Thanks gene, I'd better crack on before Speirs comes to hunt me down" she said standing up and immediately falling back down on the chair, this time Gene helped her up and she got over her dizzy spell.

"Thanks my love" she called before walking out the aid station. As she walked out Gene noticed Winters coming into the aid station "Sir, is there anything you need?"

"I want you to try and persuade Fizz to not come on this patrol, she's ill, she needs rest" Winters said knowing how much the men cared for their little medic.

"Sir, I could order her and court Marshall her if she refuses but we both know that doesn't work with Florence Hilton, she always says to us never to treat her as anything less than an equal and by doing this we wouldn't be treating her as an equal, how many I'll and sleep deprived men will be on this patrol?" and Winters realised his point, no she wouldn't back down.

Nodding his head Winters started making his way out" Okay Doc, keep trying I guess, but I know what she's like"

Gene just gave a small smile and nodded his head.

***
Walking into the bomb blown room Flo could see all the boys trying to get information out of Webster about who was going on patrol.

Malark and Jones were off discussing position or something she assumed as she half collapsed onto Chucks bed and he put a comforting arm around her as he listened intently.

"Come on Web just tell us who it is" Lieb was probing trying to dangle being one of the group again in Webs face and Web like an idiot was falling for it "why are you holding out? I know you know"

"Just give us the names, Web. Who?" Babe started on at him as well.

"There are four people here in this room, that think they should be on the patrol." Web finally started to give in, "Who?"

"If I tell you, you can't let on that you know." Web replied starting to get slightly flustered now as Flo started sorting through her med satchel, just as Sobel told her to, she only had two shots of morphine bugger it, she'd have to get more from the aid station.

"Your secret's safe, Web. Who is it?" Lieb was almost shouting so Flo gave him a 'look' and he looked a tad ashamed "Sorry Fizz, but who is it Web?

"Yeah, Heffron.", Babe looked so upset Flo stood up shakily and gave him a massive hug and while she clung to him he started shaking "Shit!" he said as he pulled away from her.

"McClung.", Flo just patted his shoulder as he started giggling as a defence mechanism.

"Fizz, as the patrol medic" Web said nodding his head at her and they all grumbled under the breath and Babe pulled her into his side a little tighter.

"And you." Web nodded his head to Ramirez who just flopped back down on his bed with his smoke dangling from his lips.

"He want any other guys from any other platoon?" Lieb said with disappointment lacing his tone.

"No well, I don't know" Web said looking a bit flustered as Flo set her head on the pillow and put her booted feet up on babe and mclungs laps, her helmet fell off as her eyes fluttered closed.

Then Malarky came over his voice raised but softening slightly at the sight of their girl snoozing "Right listen up, battalion want a patrol for prisoners, and so far, Speirs wants McClung.." that's how far he got before Lieb and Chuck interuppeted" Yeah we just fucking heard, Webster here just told us" grumbling they all started to get back to their jobs.

Then they heard the claxon "Right everybody, helmets on and out!" Malark cried out as Flo went to stand and immediately almost fell due to a fainting spell, luckily Chuck throwed her over his shoulder and carried her downstairs to the basement.

Once there, Lieb helped her down from Chucks shoulder and pulled her under the table as the mortars started to rain down. Flo held her med satchel ready to run at the first sign of trouble.

Just as she was expecting the "Help!" call came and Flo was out of the basement like a shot, she ran out scanning the area, she saw a group of men gathered around, she just saw a boot on the ground, she sprinted over and pushed through seeing Bill Kiehn with a spilled bag of potatoes on the ground already cold. She knelt down taking her helmet off and holding in her hand as she felt for a pulse on his wrist, as she suspected she found none.

She felt a hand on her shoulder and she jumped nearly two foot but she found Speirs looking down at her with a hard but soft expression, as he inclined his head she stood up and popped her helmet back on while walking away meeting Gene coming towards the scene.

"Doc Roe, deal with Kiehn will you" he said still leading Flo away.

"Florrie..... I think you should have a shower before you go to rest" he said softly.

"There's showers?" she said bewildered.

"Yeah did you not hear Sergeant Malarky?" he asked smiling slightly as she shook her head and smiled back at him.

"Come on Florrie" he smiled and they started walking towards the shower.