In Coming!

A few days later there hadnt been any serious and Flo was hopeful that they were coming to the end and the jerry's were just as hard up as they were.

One evening she was sitting with her music box open re reading letters from her family and friends. As she was reading one from Joey who was still learning to write and as she was laughing and smijg at his little phrases, foxhole Norman came up to her foxhole. She stood up and saluted "Sir".

"Hilton, can you tell me what that box is?" he said in a hard tone.

"It's a music box sir, but the tune it plays only lasted for 10 seconds" she said confused.

"If I have to suffer with the presence of a girl in my company, then please do not let your girlish fancies give away our position! " he was shouting by the end of it.

"Of course Sir, I'm sure your shouting at me will not have the same effect that your accusing my music box of having" she smiled a sickly sweet smile at him as he gazed furiously at her. "Now sir, if you'll excuse me I have to go and complete my rounds" she said climbing out of the foxhole.

She saluted and walked away. She then went to see Johnny and Walsh, she hadnt spoken to them as much recently, she was usually running around like a headless chicken and they just said they were fine.

"Hey Johnny, Harry" she said as she approached their foxhole. "Hey fizzy they said and made room in between them". By the frost on their beards it was now she wished she had brought more blankets back from Bastogne, she had given the one she had taken to Bill as she had promised him.

"Foxhole Norman looks pissed, what did you say?" Harry said lighting his cigarette.

"Nothing, just that he was causing more noise than my music box" she said before she coughed and held on tightly to Johnny's hand.

They both looked concerned and Johnny said "Floss, do you not think you should get that checked out? Or maybe take it easier?"

She shook her head "No Johnny, I'm fine honestly, just need some food I'm sure" she said and smiled while getting up.

Johnny and Harry shrugged "Okay Floss, as long as your sure" they said and waved bye as she walked towards Ramirez and Cobbs foxhole.

"Incoming!!!" She heard Lip suddenly shout. She dived towards the first foxhole she saw which was Lieb and Alley. Lieb pulled her in and Alley and him both covered her with their bodies. But just as she felt relatively safe, she heard the dreaded call "MEDIC!!".

Flo scrambled up and ran towards the sound but stopped as she didn't know the direction it came from.

"MEDIC!!" she then heard Perco call, 'damn it' she muttered and ran towards Perco and Skinnys foxhole. As she neared she saw Perco sat leaning over Skinny trying to staunch the blood.

She fell next to them and raked her eyes over Skinny, he had shrapnel covering his body causing small bleeds. She immediately ripped open sulphur with her teeth and made sure she spread it equally over the wounds, she couldn't afford to use more than a packet.

As she was pouring the sulphur on, Gene landed next to her. "Where were you?" she snapped. He looked exhausted and said "Sorry Flo I got stuck in a foxhole". She nodded and started to speak "Perco, you getting a jeep for us?".

He scampered to his feet "Yeah Fizz, I'll be one second" and he ran off to get the jeep.

"Flo you do his arms, face and chest. I'll bandage the rest" Gene said while starting to tie bandages around the more serious wounds, as did she.

"Skinny, keep awake for me mate. Don't go to sleep...... Quick Sobels coming over!". That made him jump awake.

Some of the men who had gathered  round strayed sniggering at Flo's technique but they couldn't deny it worked.

"You got the ambulance Perconte" Gene yelled as Perc came running back. "Yes doc, it's coming round now" he replied.

"Help me lift him" Gene asked and Perco, Malark and Lieb helped carry him towards the jeep that screeched round the woods.

"Skinny, your doing fine, keep awake for me. If you keep awake you'll survive" she said holding his hand and ushering them to the jeep.

She looked at Gene who nodded and she jumped in the truck next to Skinny.

"Tell Winters I'm going in for supplies" Gene shouted to Lip as he jumped in the truck next to Flo.

***
Flo kept her hand in Skinnys while the other wrote an M on his forehead for the shot of morphine they had given him.

The truck was jumpy and Gene and Flo struggled to keep skinny steady," Fizz, I'm scared" he almost whispered

"I know Skinny, but I've got you. I'm not letting go" she said placing a kiss on his forehead. "Just focus on breathing Sisk" Gene said while monitoring the wounds.

They sped to the hospital, and arrived outside. The first person Flo saw was Renee, she jumped out the van and gave her a squeeze on the hand before helping Gene lift Skinny into the hospital.

She spotted a couple of the nurses running over to Skinny and then saw Renee come towards her with a slight smile. The nurses took over Skinnys care and re dressed the bandages and ensured all the shrapnel was out, while Flo held his hand and reassured Skinny that he was in the best hands. 

"I'm really sorry Fizz" Skinny said gulping, she smiled and dabbed the blood on his face, "Skinny don't be silly, you have nothing to be sorry for" and with her words he gulped again and asked "Was anyone else hurt?". 

"No, you got my undivided attention you lucky boy" she smiled while he smiled slightly as his eyes drooped, now feeling sleepy from his medication. Flo kissed his forehead and stood up to leave him sleeping.

***
She walked around the hospital looking for Gene, she found him with Renee who was giving him supplies thank goodness.

Gene gave her a small smile from in front of Renee, which made her spin around and embrace the young medic. Flo hugged her back just as tightly and asked how she was.

"Comme si, Comme sa" Renee said and smiled.

"Flo, come on we've got to get back" Gene said nodding his head towards the door.

"Au revoir" Flo said to Renee and gave her another hug, before she walked out of the church with the supplies Gene had passed to her.

She put them in the truck, climbed in and turned to help Gene except he was chatting to Renee, who was giving him something and then Renee came past him and came to Flo. She handed Flo a small glass ampoule of a purple liquid.

"Des analgésiques pour votre estomac" (painkillers for your stomach) Renee smiled and then quickly walked away before Flo could comprehend what she had given her.

As Gene climbed in the truck, she eyed him "Did you have something to do with this?" she said slyly and he chuckled and said "As your ranking medic I'm not at liberty to say". She rolled her eyes but smiled, "You didn't manage to get any for Bill?".

Gene shook his head "Renee gave you this from the nurses personal stores" he said while watching the scenery fly past them.

Flo nodded and held onto her helmet. Hopefully tonight she should be able to sleep without pain.