Sun Means Supplies

Flo simply opened one eye when she heard the red flare in the sky, signalling they were about to get attacked.

She shook her head and went back to snuggling into the thin blanket and put her head on Gene's shoulder, of course the battering started but barely anyone said anything. They were so used to the barrage that they just didn't care anymore, Flo had recently been thinking about her life before joining Easy and it seemed like a dream or unreal that she used to jump when her dad's gun would go off or that she would complain about having tea with no sugar. Even being at Toccoa seems like a dream, hot food, warm showers(or any type of shower) even being able to laugh at Sobel making military mistakes...... at least they didn't lead to any deaths like they would now.

Flo felt like death, not even warmed up. Her breathing was wheezy, her nose was blocked, when she coughed (which was often) it was wet and rattled her so much that she thought she was about to faint, her throat, head and whole body ached but there was nothing anyone could do and Flo certainly wouldn't put herself before the men, even though they wished she would. The men had all decided the minute they got any penicillin or pain killers of any kind they would force feed her them.

***
After a couple of hours Gene nudged Flo awake to come for food. She sighed as he took her hand and heaved her to her feet, Smokey walked past and helped her out of the fox hole, as she tried to steady herself she pretty much fainted into Smokey as Gene tried to catch her.

"Floss, please try and get away from the front" Smokey almost begged.

Flo shook her head and steadied herself "I'm okay" she said with a raspy voice and walked off towards where the food was being served.

Gene and Smokey gave each other a look but just sighed and followed after her.

The mood was very sombre while they were eating, Flo had never felt more down in her life. Normally even in these situations one of the jokers would be keeping the spirits up but now nothing. They all just huddled in themselves and tried to delay eating their food to keep the warmth of the cup on their hands. Foxhole Norman stood up and walked away towards no specific place.... Flo couldn't blame him, anywhere was better than here.

Flo absentmindedly held her necklace  and thought about how she could cheer the men up. But she couldn't think of anything, her mind was so foggy and she could hear her heart in her ears that no joyful thought could come to her. So she sat quietly and stared into space.

***
Flo was in the middle of doing her rounds and was snuggled up to Chuck for a 2 minute nap at his insistence when suddenly Chuck sat up and she fell from his shoulder.

"Thanks Chuck" Flo said huffing but before she said anything else she looked up at what he was staring at and she noticed the sky was now clearing and the sun was peaking through the trees. She grabbed Chucks arm and whispered "Do you think......... Supply drop" her eyes lighting up at the thought.

He nodded and ran to the tree line with most of the men and Flo swiftly following.

They looked up at the sky and waved to the C-47's who flew past, Flo smiling wide as Lieb picked her up and span her around.

Suddenly they heard the planes start to open fire, as Lieb dragged Flo back into cover, she heard Perco ask "What the fuck are they doing? They're firing at their own men"

"Their kraut planes" Bill shouted before Buck called for them all to get in cover, except for then calling out the Flo and Gene.

"Doc, Fizz get over to Bastogne and pick up your med supplies". Gene nodded while Flo gave Buck a jaunty salute and a smile as she headed off with Gene.

***
Gene jumped off the truck the minute they got within view of the 'hospital' and ran off inside, Flo followed slightly less enthusiastically and walked in to the smell of iron and sound of groaning. The smell made bile rise in her throat and she quickly made her way through the row of beds smiling at some of her previous patients before hearing Renee shouting for help.

Flo looked confused before running into a side Chapel and assessing the situation which was Gene trying to staunch the bleeding by putting his hand in a man's stomach and Renee holding the man down on one side but he was still wriggling. Flo made her way round to the man's right side and pinned him down while talking to him and telling him that he is doing great and he needs to calm down. She looked helplessly at Gene and Renee as Gene was putting all his effort into stopping the bleeding but soon enough the man's time came to an end and Gene threw his bandages down in anger.

Flo silently left the Chapel and walked outdoors to breathe in fresh air, she took deep breaths but she could feel herself hyperventilating until a civilian came up to her and passed her a cup filled with an Amber liquid.

She looked up confused but thanked the woman who looked on at her with a motherly concern, Flo took a sip of the liquid and coughed and spluttered as it burned her throat. The woman looked amused but encouraged her to take another sip, as Flo did as she asked she felt a warmth run down her throat and knew the woman was only trying to calm her down.

Flo smiled at her and nodded her thanks before handing the cup back and walking back into the hospital where one of the nurses had made up a pack of medical supplies for her. She gratefully took them from the nurses hands and made her way out to the jeep that was waiting with other supplies.

'Where is Gene?' Flo was thinking, at least he was relaxing a bit and talking with someone different. At that point Flo just wanted to sleep in a bed, one without pillows or blankets would do, she was just exhausted, every time she closed her eyes she wanted to vomit, in her nightmares she saw all her brothers dead with limbs missing in the snow of bastogne.

As Gene walked towards her she smiled slightly and then leant her head back and closed her eyes for the journey back.